Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a dilemma.

This morning, before class, I went into my garage after getting my books/schoolwork ready. I start up the stang (to let it warm up for a few minutes), and I read that the Gas-Meter display says 113 miles-to-empty (which makes no sense because I filled her up 3 days ago with 127 miles to empty, and havent driven her since this morning.)

Anyways, this is what really gets me. I watch it go down from 113 MTE to 89 MTE!?!?!?!?

Mile by mile, it drops down. This is really pissing me off.:mad:

Has this happened to anyone before? Could it be a gas tank leak or something?

Please help!:eek:

·
Tree Fiddy Z
2,040 Posts
It's probably just a misreading. Is your actual gas guage coinciding with what your computer is telling you the drive til empy is?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
It's calculating fuel remaining on current running conditions. IE, trust your trip odometer more than the miles remaining gauge. I reset the trip odo every time I fill up and always fill it with a full tank.

If you had a fuel leak, you'd smell it.

Also... if you drive it easy for the first half of the tank and harder the last half, the mileage to empty will really be off. :)

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
My car does the same thing but at least you don't have my problem. After my car has been sitting parked overnight, when I start her up and take a sharp turn my gauge will shoot to E and my warning light will inform me i'm out of gas....never got this fixed because it only happens in the morning and after I restart my car the gauge will go back to normal.

·
Tini Tini Bo Bini
9,029 Posts
take it in under warranty

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
My car does the same thing but at least you don't have my problem. After my car has been sitting parked overnight, when I start her up and take a sharp turn my gauge will shoot to E and my warning light will inform me i'm out of gas....never got this fixed because it only happens in the morning and after I restart my car the gauge will go back to normal.
Similiar thing happened with my 06 V6 under hard starts... boy it is freaky, especially after you just fill it and it happens. Had it happen in a parking garage and I thought sure as **** some fool tried syphoning my gas or something and got away with it...

Never did resolve the issue though...

·
Registered
217 Posts
maybe I'm stating the obvious.... but , if your sitting there with the engine idling, you are burning gas and gaining no mileage. THe computer is gonna adjust for your current average mpg, once you start driving again it should creep back up. Does that make sense?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts