Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am thinking about selling my 2010 Mustang GT and upgrading to the 2011 5.0. Would it be worth it? Are they really that much faster and is there any other pluses besides the speed do they handle better ride better etc. Or would I be better off to just upgrade my car to make it run with them. If I did keep my car what kind of upgrades would I have to do to make it run with the new stangs and beat the camaros? All I have on it now is new mufflers, and an x pipe. I was thinking about getting a cold air intake, tuner, and some 3.73s. If I keep it. Any input is appreciated. Oh and how much are the 2011s running. A couple I have seen online at local dealerships were like 45 grand which is bs.

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
How much more would you be spending on getting a new 5.0? Because if you are going to be spending over 10K-15K you could build your car to RAPE them for that much.

·
The Mustang Shop
445 Posts
Well, a stock 3V makes about 265whp and a stock 5.0 makes about 365whp. So you need to do every bolt there is to try and keep up. If you want to be faster, you need a supercharger.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
You would probably take a big hit on your car trading it in. You would be better off bolting on a blower or if you do trade your car in do like I did and get low Milage gt500 you could probably find one for less than a new 5.0 and a 500 will rape a 5.0 any day of the week.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured I could probably sell my car for around 25 grand and HOPEFULLY get a 5.0 for around 32 grand. I do not know a whole lot about the pricing on them but my 2010 was 32 with the rapid spec interior leather shaker 500 etc. We have bought all our vehicles from the same dealer so hopefully he would help me out. I dont really want to spend 10-15 grand on fixing my car up because my luck it would screw up and I would not have a warranty.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I tried trading my 2010, at several dealers and online, after I drove a 2011. It wasn't worth it, no matter how they worked it.

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
I figured I could probably sell my car for around 25 grand and HOPEFULLY get a 5.0 for around 32 grand. I do not know a whole lot about the pricing on them but my 2010 was 32 with the rapid spec interior leather shaker 500 etc. We have bought all our vehicles from the same dealer so hopefully he would help me out. I dont really want to spend 10-15 grand on fixing my car up because my luck it would screw up and I would not have a warranty.
Even with 4-5K into a blower you could **** on 5.0s. And most blowers come with a 3 year/36K warranty if you get them installed professionally.

·
Super Moderator
7,915 Posts
I don't even think you could get 25k if you tried to private party it man.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I guess the bottom line is that there's always going to be a hot new model, and whatever you're driving at the time will be out-done at some point. I'd keep it...I'm keeping mine:)

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
i thought about doing this...was at the dealer last week..it woulda been $130 month more then I am paying now from 307-437 for a 2011 premium..I decided its not really worth it as I already did stuff to my car and I do like it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I can guarantee you wont get 25k for it even if sold as a privet party. I bought my 2010 for much less then that. I would keep the 2010 and throw a super charger on. There are many great brands out there. And I think Ford even offers a super charger deal with a warranty. I personally would rather have a car that I made the way I wanted to rather then a stock 2011 5.0 like everyone else has.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeh man Keep that 10 cuz you would end up doing the same thing if you got the 5.0. Intake exhaust and then back to square one with wanting to trade in the 5.0 for a boss or gt500. You want to put yourself in a position that you can say this is my car and this is what i have done to it. Anyone can buy a car and all you would be doing is just buying a 5.0. You should get to know your GT cuz only you know the ends and outs of your car as it is now

·
Registered
763 Posts

Man I hope for your sake you get 25k, but dont count on it. Dealer ship here in town had a brand new white fully loaded 2010 GT sticker was 38K. Guy bought it a week ago...Paid 25k for it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha yeah I think I will keep it you guys have talked me out of the 5.0. I do not know much about upgrading cars but wouldnt I be better off to put the programmer, cold air intake, and 3.73s in the car and then get a super charger? Would I need to do anything to the rear end if I put a super charger in? I have always heard people say that you need a new rear end for that much power.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
To be honest I tried to get a 2010 with the dealer installing a SC before I got my 11. Yes stock for stock the 11 will kill the 10. However, in my thinking, if I was able to get the dealer to bite my offer then I could have had a 10 with 400+ to the wheels for what I paid for my 11 (or less). Especially with the deals some dealers were offering on 10's to get them off the lot. That said, you'd be better off modding the 10 you have with the money you'd wind up spending extra on the 11.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Depends how much power you want the stock rear ends are fine unless you want crazy amounts of power. And as far as intakes you would have to get one that fits the supercharger if you decide to buy a supercharger.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well if you are going to get the super charger the cold air intake will have to be replaced. The 3.73 gears are a great upgrade. I love mine and wouldn't go with any other gear. Also just talk to your local dealership about super charger upgrades I'm sure they will be able to help you out if you want to keep everything under warranty. Or any reparable mustang shop in your area.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well I am thinking about selling my 2010 Mustang GT and upgrading to the 2011 5.0. Would it be worth it? Are they really that much faster and is there any other pluses besides the speed do they handle better ride better etc. Or would I be better off to just upgrade my car to make it run with them. If I did keep my car what kind of upgrades would I have to do to make it run with the new stangs and beat the camaros? All I have on it now is new mufflers, and an x pipe. I was thinking about getting a cold air intake, tuner, and some 3.73s. If I keep it. Any input is appreciated. Oh and how much are the 2011s running. A couple I have seen online at local dealerships were like 45 grand which is bs.

I am in the same situation. I can get a new 5.0 on the Ford A plan and to me it still would not be worth it. Bottom line is work with what you got. Get an Edelbrock supercharger, Ford Whipple or Prochager and you will yank lightly modded 5.0s all day. Think about this: if you get a new 5.0 you are still going to want to modify it. You already have a car with a similar chassis and interior and have likely made a years worth of payments already. Start modding you present car and don't go easy and you will put a smile on your own face. With what you would lose on your trade in plus being another year to year and a half behind on payments you could build a new shortblock and go heavy with a blower.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts