Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, so i had a question about my rpms. when i am drivning in 1st and 2nd gear and i take my foot off the gas the rpms go up and down and the car jerks. To clarify, i could be driving in first gear and once i hit about 3k rpms and i am ready to shift gears (its a manual) i take my foot off the gas pedal and my rpms jerk around like the fall to abt 2900 then shoot to 3100 then start falling back down. I don't understand why the rpms don't just decrease when i took my foot off the gas, like why do they jerk up and down. Am i doing something wrong or do i have some sort of tranny problem? Another thing to note is when i am driving and i wanna shift gears, if i hit the clutch pedal really fast i hear a loud clanking noise coming from the back of my car.
Thanks for all opinions

·
Registered
247 Posts
the first problem with the rpms i think is you, all stick cars do that u just need to have a light foot when you go on and off the gas. the clunck......well i would really try and find out where its comming from.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks, i wasn't sure because this is my first car with a manual transmission. as far as the clunking noise is concerned i am wondering if that is just me too. It occurs if i hit the clutch pedal right after i let off the gas and i hit the clutch pedal as fast as i can. All i can say about where its coming from is that it sounds like its coming from the back of my car and it sounds like 2 pieces of metal smacking together. My car has under 3k miles on it and is brand new. does tht sound like i have a tranny problem or i am just hitting the clutch to hard?

·
Registered
92 Posts
ok thanks, i wasn't sure because this is my first car with a manual transmission. as far as the clunking noise is concerned i am wondering if that is just me too. It occurs if i hit the clutch pedal right after i let off the gas and i hit the clutch pedal as fast as i can. All i can say about where its coming from is that it sounds like its coming from the back of my car and it sounds like 2 pieces of metal smacking together. My car has under 3k miles on it and is brand new. does tht sound like i have a tranny problem or i am just hitting the clutch to hard?
I think you need more experience at driving stick. When shifting you should be depressing the clutch smoothly in accordance with your foot letting off the gas. You shouldn't let off the gas completely and then quickly press the clutch. It will probably jerk a bit and make some weird noises from your drivetrain. Just be smooth with your feet. They both should be working at the same time, meshing the transmission and engine together and apart.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine is auto but I do know how to drive manual and I think these guys are right in that the problem is user error based. Just need more practice. How do you like the Mustang?

·
Registered
60 Posts
i think the clunking sound u hear form the back is unburned fuel popping in the exhaust and it happens in every car

1 - 6 of 6 Posts