Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of doing a research report on "new edge" mustangs and in my searches i found out that since by 2020 all new cars are required to have better than 35 mpg, ford is possibly going to drop the v8 as an option in mustangs. and the 6 cylinder that's in the new ones is going o be replaced by an engine called the EconoBoost engine or something and it's going to come twin turboed...has anyone else seen anything like this or heard anything about it? Cause the whole gas thing could be hard on the mustang.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
no it wont
they can get a SUV up to about 45mpg even 50 state by chrysler and chevy and even ford

these dealers have ways to save you gas and the time and engineering to do it
they just dont do it for certain reasons which we all know

also there was an article on a possibly TT V6.
i cant remember where now though

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
my dad said there was an article back in the 70's that a guy designed a carb that would let a 350 get something like almost 40 mpg? i think.
and he never heard anything about it after that
the gas company's must have shut him up real quick

·
KCCO
14,878 Posts
the whole fleet would have to have an average of 35 mpg. that means you could have one model that gets 15 just as long as you have one model that gets 55. hence an average of 35 mpg

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
my dad said there was an article back in the 70's that a guy designed a carb that would let a 350 get something like almost 40 mpg? i think.
and he never heard anything about it after that
the gas company's must have shut him up real quick
it was closer to 75 mpg and the fuel companies bought his pattens for more then he could have ever made if he sold it to a car manufacture...

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Cant remember where I saw it, but I have seen these articles as well.

IMO a TT v6 would be a great thing. Will give the v6 crowd some more options and power to work with.

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
Cant remember where I saw it, but I have seen these articles as well.

IMO a TT v6 would be a great thing. Will give the v6 crowd some more options and power to work with.
no it would be a bad thing... it would kill the GT market and totally kill ford...

the V6 is an economy car, get over it... ford needs to figure out how to make them more fuel efficent and still have a decent amount of power

·
Banned
32 Posts
Yeah the way The guy got it to get that kinda millege though was he made jets in the carb an odd way so it would mix the air and flue better thats how he did it...

And I think ford should make a tt mustang I think it would be easer to build and you could get power cheper

·
Registered
811 Posts
no it would be a bad thing... it would kill the GT market and totally kill ford...

the V6 is an economy car, get over it... ford needs to figure out how to make them more fuel efficent and still have a decent amount of power
i totally agree. the mustang just has to have a v8 in it. it started as a muscle car and it should remain a muscle car.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
i totally agree. the mustang just has to have a v8 in it. it started as a muscle car and it should remain a muscle car.
you do know the first mustang had a 6 in it right?

·
Registered
811 Posts
you do know the first mustang had a 6 in it right?
really. no im sorry i didn't know that. im sorry for the false info. but i still say that mustang is more of an American muscle big v8 type of car.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
really. no im sorry i didn't know that. im sorry for the false info. but i still say that mustang is more of an American muscle big v8 type of car.
oh im messing with you man i agree lol but for the first year (maybe a bit less) only a 6 was avaliable

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
pony car= camaro, firebird, mustang

muscle car= gto, road runner, 442, cuda, chevelle, nova

thats wut i think when i think muscle car and pony car.

as for a tt v6 stock, itll never happen so dont get your hopes up.

wuts the new "cyclone" engine for the mustang tho in 2010?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

exactly, that's the first thing i thought when i read the article. Loosing the v8 GT model would ruin ford, cause that's really the main attraction.

·
Editor
297 Posts
The Cyclone engine is Ford Motor Company's latest gasoline powered DOHC 60° V6 family of engines. [1] It will gradually replace the Mondeo family of V6 engines over the next several years. The first version, a 3.5 L Duratec 35 V6, appeared in September 2006 in the Lincoln MKZ. Mazda badges its versions of the Cyclone MZI as it did with its versions of the Mondeo V6.
Notable Cyclone features include a capacity for displacements ranging up to 4.0 L, [2] centrally-located sparkplugs, pent-roof combustion chambers, direct acting mechanical bucket (DAMB) camshaft tappets, and variable cam timing (VCT) on the intake camshafts. Features such as gasoline direct injection, turbocharging, dual-stage variable length intake manifold and VCT on the exhaust camshafts are planned to be added later and were considerations in the design phase. The Duratec 35 is ULEV-II compliant and is capable of meeting the PZEV requirement.
The Duratec 35 was on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 2007.

Official SAE certified engine output is 265 hp (198 kW) and 250 lb·ft (339 N·m) on 87 octane gas, but will exceed 300 hp (224 kW) once planned features such as gasoline direct injection (GDI), twin independent variable cam timing (TiVCT), and a variable geometry intake manifold are added. This is a substantial upgrade in power from the Duratec 30 and bested all comparable 87 octane rated V6 engines at the time of its launch. [3]. The recommended engine oil is 5W-20.
The 3.5 L engine is the same exterior size as the 3.0 L Duratec 30, and replaced it in some applications (notably the Ford Taurus) in the 2008 model year. Production began in 2006 for the Ford Edge, Lincoln MKX, and Lincoln MKZ. Ford expects the engine to be available in 20% of its vehicles by the end of the decade. The Duratec 30 continues in production for other vehicles, such as the Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan until the 2009 model year.
The Duratec 35 displaces 3.5 L (3496 cc/213 in³) with a 92.5 mm (3.64 in) bore and 86.7 mm (3.41 in) stroke. The engine is assembled at Lima Engine in Lima, Ohio, with expansion planned in Cleveland Engine Plant #1.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
ok if we're really going to start a debate about ford and muscle cars lets do it RIGHT

if the mustang is such a muscle car and needs its big V8 then why the 4.6?! its a very SMALL V8 motor and standing next to 5.7s 6.0s 6.2 it looks like a lil boy in a mans world

IF ANYTHING should go on with mustang they should UP size the V8 block and make it a damn man.
why should we have the GT V8 motor be competing with 350z's, G35s and hanging with guys like THAT in a race?! because the Camaro's and firebirds are just WAY to much for a GT.
GT needs a bigger motor to compete WITH ITS OWN class of V8s not V6 motors. and the other option SHOULDNT be a GT-500 the car is just WAY to much $$
then we should have V6 mustangs on 350z and g35 status.

if you wana talk about economy cars buy a Focus

my belief
V6-270-300hp!
V8 GT- no less then 350 but at 400hp preferably! with GREAT potiential and bigger blocks for a better torque curve

then the GT-500s or shelbys, Saleens, roush for 500+hp

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
pony car= camaro, firebird, mustang

muscle car= gto, road runner, 442, cuda, chevelle, nova

thats wut i think when i think muscle car and pony car.

as for a tt v6 stock, itll never happen so dont get your hopes up.

wuts the new "cyclone" engine for the mustang tho in 2010?
ok and a 428Jet or 351boss doesnt cut the muscle car list because?
wait it is in the muscle car list:)

those cars you listed were just old cars
psh you say GTO now and mix it with MUSCLE car NO
no car now a days will have what the old cars had
big blocks are dead unfortunatly:(
and big block motor was muscle car
those car back then would make your seat indent and car rumble

now we have a soft stream?
the new GTO's, Chargers and GTs are quiet
and the new corvettes may be badass but they're exotic car badass. not muslce they dont even sound like muscle cars any more

·
Registered
811 Posts
ok and a 428Jet or 351boss doesnt cut the muscle car list because?
wait it is in the muscle car list:)

those cars you listed were just old cars
psh you say GTO now and mix it with MUSCLE car NO
no car now a days will have what the old cars had
big blocks are dead unfortunatly:(
and big block motor was muscle car
those car back then would make your seat indent and car rumble

now we have a soft stream?
the new GTO's, Chargers and GTs are quiet
and the new corvettes may be badass but they're exotic car badass. not muslce they dont even sound like muscle cars any more

i know and i hate it. i would love to drop a big block in my car or to have one. i just love to think about have a big block under the hood and hearing it rumble. i mean yea exotics are fast but i would much rather hear a loud roaring muscle car than go 200 mph in an exotic.
but this is just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts