Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just had a local alarm shop install a viper alarm in my 2011 mustang gt 5.0. When I went to pick it up I started the vehicle and the gas tank gauge showed empty and the info reading said I had 0 miles before empty. I swear when I dropped it off it had just over a 1/4 tank left. Anyways, I first suspected that they went for a joy ride. When I went to chevron to fill up however, it only let me fill a little over 8 gallons. When I started the car again the tank read full. I believe this car holds about 16 gallons. I called the alarm shop to ask if they had to unhook the battery during installation and they said no. Anyways, I thought it was weird that the gauge read empty and then full after only filling up 8 gallons. It sounds like the gauge reading was incorrect for some reason. I can't figure out what happened. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Just keep an eye on it. May have just been a one time thing.

·
Registered
828 Posts
there is actually a Technical Service bulletin for that exact concern.

TSB
10-21-3 3.7L AND 5.0L - FUEL GAUGE INDICATOR DROPS FROM APPROXIMATELY 1/2 TO EMPTY

"Some 2011 Mustang V6 and GT vehicles may exhibit a fuel gauge indicator dropping from approximately 1/2 to 1/4 full to E, and Message Center displaying 0 Miles to Empty. This concern may be intermittent. Customers may also notice that when refueling, the vehicle takes only 7 to 10 gallons of fuel (tank capacity is 15 gallons). This concern may be due to the Fuel Pump Module (FPM) not drawing fuel from the fuel pick up located in the RH side of the fuel tank, which may be caused by an internal restriction in the FPM."

the service procedure says to replace the Fuel pump module, a 1.1 hour job.

·
Registered
2018 Mustang GT Manual
1,595 Posts
Off subject, but make sure the next time you drop your car off somewhere you record the milage before leaving it with a stranger. I like to have the folks watch me jot it down just to let them know that I don't approve of joy rides. I learned a lesson years ago when my truck got taken out for one and I saw the idiot doing a burnout in it.

·
Yes, I am your Daddy
983 Posts
Off subject, but make sure the next time you drop your car off somewhere you record the milage before leaving it with a stranger. I like to have the folks watch me jot it down just to let them know that I don't approve of joy rides. I learned a lesson years ago when my truck got taken out for one and I saw the idiot doing a burnout in it.
Did you whoop some ass for them doing a burnout? I had a real bad experiance once with a valet parking service. I had them park my car, and came back like 30 mins later to get it. When I was trying to get it back, the guy was trying to stall me, saying that someone went to go get it, but noone did.. Another coworker called someone, and like 15 mins later my car came from another direction, not the valet parking lot. I flipped out, cursed them out, cursed out the manager, and reported it to the manager of the place that used the valet service, and actually got them shut down for that (I guess I wasnt their first complaint about that)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Indeed TSB 10-21-3 3.7L AND 5.0L will fix your problem.

Also WTNS 2RN hit it on the head. I always write down how many miles are on the car and you can even program your second key with "My Key." You can limit speed and more, it's like having a throttle stop on the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts