Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me because I am a newbie to all of this.
I just recently picked up a 2011 Mustang GT convertible.
I have searched these forums and could not find an answer to my questions.
I am looking for frame/suspension mods to help stiffen the convertible up a little. What are some good basic mods that will fit the 2011+ convertibles? I looked at subframe connectors and was sadly disappointed.
I have seen some add ons like the Hotchkiss x subframe brace but dont know if it would do anything to help. I am basically clueless. There are NO plans to turn this vehicle into a drag or autocross car. She is just my summer vehicle "fun" car when I don't feel like taking one of the motorcycles out.
I have also seen the convertible "styling" bars and have read that they do not provide ANY rollover protection. Is there anything available that does? Thanks in advance for helping a newb.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I would send a PM to Kelly @ BMR here on the site. He'll help you out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have checked out BMR's website but only find a reference to "cutting out factory bracing" which is not exactly appealing to me.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
I have checked out BMR's website but only find a reference to "cutting out factory bracing" which is not exactly appealing to me.
Out of the vast offering of parts we have, you only saw that we reference to cut the factory bracing out?

Well, that just isn't accurate. You are referring to us stating that the factory bracing needs to be removed (it is bolted in, and you un-bolt it to remove it), in order to use several of our products.

You can keep the weak factory bracing that does not do much, but I am a fan of actually improving the rigidity of the chassis, by using a real bracing system, not a bolt-on bracing system that I can bend over my knee.

So now that you know that we do not reference cutting up your car, we do have several options for chassis stiffening, which really helps a convertible.

BMR SUSPENSION S197 CHASSIS STIFFENING PRODUCTS

I'd love to see you grab the front suspension kit, as this increase in rigidity is probably the most noticeable modification that you will put onto your car. Pair this with the Subframe Connectors and you have one very rigid set-up!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm glad you came on here. I must've been in a haze when I read it.
I am just learning about suspension parts and was more interested in starting simple with a subframe connector kit and going from there. There were some other things that I have read but since I have NO time under a Mustang my knowledge base is quite small. Just trying to picture where everything you have to offer goes and tyring to make decisions from there. I am under warranty and dont want to void it yet. So the thought of replacing the whole front suspension at this point is a little more than I want. I am looking to piece this together as money and time allows. Please keep in mind that this is a purely cruising vehicle at this point. No racing, no drags, just something to get away from work stresses in. I have wanted a Mustang for 20+years and my fathers recent illnesses have made me take the plunge.
BTW, I really like the good things I hear about BMR. I am just to new to know anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts