Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first of all, I have no idea if this is the right forum to ask this, so mods please move this if so.

anyways i'm EXTREMELY dumb when it comes to buying new cars so I was wondering if anybody on this forum can help me out.

I'm interested in buying a 2011 Mustang GT Base(or premium if I can pull off a good deal) and right now their is a 2000$ incentive or 1.9 apr for 60 months. this is what the salesman offered me.

BASIC 2011 Mustang GT no options:
Vehicle Price: $30,495
Preferred Customer discount - $1,555
Customer Rebate -$2,000
Dealer trade and transportation +$300 (the car is about 700 miles away)
Selling Price: $27,240

Sales Tax(estimate) $1761
Tag/Regis(estimate) $65.80
Title $33
Documentation $122.50 <-- WTF is that

OTD: $29,256.47

Is that a good deal? the car already has 178 miles and it'l have about 878 miles when I receive it..

or do yall think I can get a 2011 premium gt for under 31k OTD?????

and by the way i'm putting 10,000 down and gonna get a loan for 60 months. i'm trying to keep the monthly payments under 420$

any tips on dealing with the salesman will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you got that much cash down, you have a lot of bargaining power.

Additionally, the dealers are getting the 12's in and need to get rid of the 11's.

According to USAA, Invoice for a 11 GT Base is $28,835. So with that, I would look at getting the vehicle price closer to the invoice price. That is just me though. Do not pay MSRP for the car.

Good luck.

·
Don't BAAAAH 'Til Goatsday
6,530 Posts
If you hold off a couple months you might be able to get special discounts on 2011 models. Porlby like a extra 2k off. You should be right around 420 if your credit comes out ok.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Its a pretty good deal. 1555 off is literally 105 over invoice. Getting closer to invoice is kind of petty. "Yes I would like a $45 discount please"

The doc fee is a normal fee that the dealer charges for all the tons of paperwork that has to happen after the sale is over. Title work, blah blah blah. Thats a low fee. The average around here is $399-499.

My advice is to work with a dealer/salesperson who you can trust. Its tough to find, but if there is somebody out there with a really great reputation is could be worthwhile. I have heard some stories of people getting numbers switched around on them multiple times along with other crappy business practice that attempts to garner profits in lieu of just good sales practices. /endrant

·
Registered
253 Posts
IMO..deal with like 2 or 3 and see who will offer best deal. I assisted my bro in his camaro and we walked on them when they would not budge...< changes minds really fast when family needs food

·
Registered
7 Posts
Its a pretty good deal. 1555 off is literally 105 over invoice. Getting closer to invoice is kind of petty. "Yes I would like a $45 discount please"
Yeah, when I say get closer to invoice, I mean, get the starting price of the car closer to invoice, then the dealer should apply the incentives and rebates. Cuz, the bottom line with the deal he shared, he is paying retail for the car. In all my years of buying cars, there is no way you should pay MSRP.

Just my opinion of course but I am a cheap bastard.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I think you can do better. I walked out of the dealer with a GT Prem. for 31,600 and I even paid extra to have paint protection and undercoating put on. You should be able to get further under MSRP even with tax and title. Dont go with the first thing they offer you. Go to another dealer if you have to. It took me 3 dealers till I got the deal I wanted.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yeah, when I say get closer to invoice, I mean, get the starting price of the car closer to invoice, then the dealer should apply the incentives and rebates. Cuz, the bottom line with the deal he shared, he is paying retail for the car. In all my years of buying cars, there is no way you should pay MSRP.

Just my opinion of course but I am a cheap bastard.
Cheap is good! :D

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought he was getting the price down to 105 over invoice THEN they were applying the 2k in rebates. So that would be 3555 off + $300 for transport.

You sure you don't want the Brembo Package? Its so great!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Getting a good deal on a car is all patience...dealer invoice is just a bunch of look I am making no money. A dealer has a thing called hold back monies (reason they want to sell the car on the lot), which they get to keep if they sell the car and dont have to advertise it. That is where ford gives the dealer 2K or more for advertising and such. Not to mention they make money from Ford for financing, that is why they always say I can probably do better than your bank type of deal. Your credit is put in a tier group and a dealer actually determines your interest rate by what tier your in....so if you say you want your payment at 420, they will get it to 450 for ya and say hey thats the best rate i could get ya, even if you qualified for a lower rate.

They also make money on how many vehicles they have sold in a month...so if you walk in the dealer ship at a certain time during the reaching of a weekly or monthly goal, you have great negotiating power....and of course your trade is another money maker....but they also make money off extended warranties, which you can negotiate the price on that too...

·
Registered
533 Posts
I went to Ford today on an impulse to check out a gray 2011 premium GT that was on the dealers website. It had the security package and 3:73's which was enough for me since I'm trying to keep the price down. There was $1,500 cash back plus the x-plan pricing and 1.9% financing so I'd be $1,500 under invoice.

Turns out the one I had my eye was turned into a stage 2 Roush and was over $50,000 now. There's not a lot of gray manual GTs left and the color is not offered in the 2012 models. The salesman found me the same one in Nelliston NY (wherever that is) minus the security package. He printed the price and a $486 "FDAF / LMDA Assessment" fee was added which is apparently some kind of advertising fund?? I'd be right about $30,500 before tax of course. Very tempting, but the tranny issues scare me and I need to weigh my options.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not bad but I would try to get it down some. What makes you want a premium? The leather seats? If so you can use any seat from 2005 and up. It would be MUCH cheaper to buy some nice seats off of a totalled older GT and swap them in. I'm sure you can find near to new sets out there for pennies (well not quite but you get the idea). You can even get legit aftermarket seats for a decent price too. Does anyone know how much extra Ford charges for the premium option?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Its not just the seats, there are allot of little details with the premium: Leather, power seat, different gauges, my color, ambient lighting, sound system, sync, and the interior dash/door sills are different. Im sure there are more just can't think of it. I still think that price is to high for a basic GT. You need to get closer to the invoice price. You can get a premium for not much more than what they offered you. And for everyone who thinks not, like I said earlier I paid 31,100 OTD for a premium that the dealer was asking for almost 34k before T/T. Shop around more if you have to.

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
I'm paying 32,300 for a GT Premium with Brembos and 3.73 on D-plan if it helps any. I know most won't get that price, because I work at a dealer. But it may give you an idea of the wiggle room that is there. Sticker on my car was $36k.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Its not just the seats, there are allot of little details with the premium: Leather, power seat, different gauges, my color, ambient lighting, sound system, sync, and the interior dash/door sills are different. Im sure there are more just can't think of it. I still think that price is to high for a basic GT. You need to get closer to the invoice price. You can get a premium for not much more than what they offered you. And for everyone who thinks not, like I said earlier I paid 31,100 OTD for a premium that the dealer was asking for almost 34k before T/T. Shop around more if you have to.
Gotcha. Still I couldn't justify the excess pricing for those luxuries.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts