Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just bought a 2011 V6 base a few weeks ago. So with the base its just the sub par 4 speakers. What I would like to do is replace all 4 speakers and add a sub in the trunk 10" or 12" all running off of the stock head unit. What would be the best way going about this? 1 5 channel amp or a 4 channel and mono amp for the sub? Would I be able to just run bass through the sub in the trunk without running it throught the speakers in the front and rear? Would I have to run a sound processor from the stock headunit to make the speakers sound better.

I can do the install my self but as far as choosing the right equipment thats where i need a little assistance.

Thanks in advance!

·
_
3,782 Posts
Well if your 4 aftermarket speakers arn't competition or basically fall under the 6-60 watts rms category than those will be direct replacments. You will only NEED an amp for the 4 speakers if they require a lot of RMS watts. If you do happen to buy some big fancy comp speakers that require a **** ton of watts than you would buy a 4 channel amp for those and a mono amp for the sub. You cannot buy any amp and run the speaks and sub off it of. The sub will need its own amp.

If you need to, before you go making an order, you can post in here again asking for advice on what you come up with.

Besides that, hows San Antonio these days? :) I miss that place!

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Well if your 4 aftermarket speakers arn't competition or basically fall under the 6-60 watts rms category than those will be direct replacments. You will only NEED an amp for the 4 speakers if they require a lot of RMS watts. If you do happen to buy some big fancy comp speakers that require a **** ton of watts than you would buy a 4 channel amp for those and a mono amp for the sub. You cannot buy any amp and run the speaks and sub off it of. The sub will need its own amp.
durp?

yes you can. its a 5ch amp 4mids/highs and one sub channel.

or you can use a 4ch amp, 2ch for the front stage and bridge the other 2 for the sub stage.

also you dont have to buy an amp just because the rms rating on the driver is higher. any aftermarket head unit will put out roughly 10w per channel if that. so running an amp with ANY speaker will be beneficial.

OP, for your rig i would say go with a 5ch amp, with a single 12. i would run 6.5 components up front and stock rear speaker size in the back.

how much do you want to spend?

also with a decent amp you should have enough control on its crossover to not need a separate processor/crossover. aka run the bass through the sub not the mids

·
Registered
2 Posts
Before my sons 2010 was destroyed I used a LC6I and fed the speaker wires to it. It allowed me to control the gain and processed the line input for the two amps I ran. One 4 ch for the door and deck and one mono for the sub.
There insurance replaced the car (2011), and went ahead and replaced the head unit with a touch screen pioneer.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

If you need to, before you go making an order, you can post in here again asking for advice on what you come up with.

Besides that, hows San Antonio these days? :) I miss that place!
Forgot I made this thread, I was just trying to come up with a plan to replace the speakers glad I stumbled upon my own thread.

For now I'm going to start with the front door speakers and work my way back. Plan so far is just to use the stock head unit. Question is does anyone know that specs on the stock headunit? How many watts it puts out per channel? I'm trying to stay cheap for the moment so running the speakers off the stock headunit is preferred at the moment and theres always an option of adding an amp later right?

P.S. I'm still in San Antonio, just curious about what there is to miss around here haha.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts