Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious what everyone's opinion is for tires on a 2011 Shelby GT500 that has the SVT Package. Currently the tires are Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G: 2, which is an extreme performance summer tire and Asymmetric/Directional tire.

Current tire size is Front Tires P265/40ZR19, Rear Tires P285/35ZR20

I was looking at some Michelin Pilot Super Sport max performance tire. A few people have told me to go with the Michelin tires even though they are more expensive than the Goodyear because the Michelin tires have better grip/handling, quieter, launch is superb, better in the rain.

The only con that people have told me was the price of the Michelin tires.

I live in Tennessee so the weather changes, could rain one minute and be cold or hot the next. Not much snow in Tennessee but that comes and goes as well.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.:)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Michelin Super Pilot Sport allllllllllll the way. You will NOT regret it. I think of them as more handling tires. A friend of mine with five oh has them, gah I cannot get over how much he brags about those. But they do work for sure, his car never loses traction...the only time Ive seen it lose traction is when it's not properly warmed up or if he's WOT

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies. I am thinking of purchasing a set, it's just something that should in my opinion come as a standard set of tires instead of the Goodyear. Granted the Goodyear tires are ok, but why go with an ok set of tires when you want excellent tires for the horses under the hood. It's pretty wet outside these last couple of days and has been in the 50s so I'm thinking I will goahead and order the Michelins. Not use to having 19s on the front and 20s in the rear.
My 2009 only has 19s all the way around, of course I do not have that car any longer.

·
Don't BAAAAH 'Til Goatsday
6,530 Posts
How much did it cost you?
319 from tirerack!

There is no substitute for these tires. They do it all. They handel when wet, have very good ride quilty and are quite on the high way. The other day I took an off ramp at about 70 mph like a boss. I will put these tires to the text come march, for my first auto cross event

·
Watch n learn
876 Posts
Ya, do it, they rule. I'd guess that Ford didn't use them since they're more money and it would hurt the bottom line, also, nothing really comes close to the Shelby in its price range, so the additional performance wouldn't be justified for the price. I'd say they will likely be as good if not better than the Goodyears in the wet.

·
Registered
304 Posts
They will be light-years better than any Goodyear in the wet, count on it. Goodyear has never built a road tire that can handle wet weather yet.

My Brembo GT has PZeros on it and they are pretty good but, being Pirellis, I expect about 2 seasons out of them and they are really pricey. The Michys are better performng, will last way longer and cost roughly the same if not a bit less.

·
Don't BAAAAH 'Til Goatsday
6,530 Posts
Oh rly? I know people that have 295/40/20 up front and never have had a problem. I also have camber bolts too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
They will be light-years better than any Goodyear in the wet, count on it. Goodyear has never built a road tire that can handle wet weather yet.

My Brembo GT has PZeros on it and they are pretty good but, being Pirellis, I expect about 2 seasons out of them and they are really pricey. The Michys are better performng, will last way longer and cost roughly the same if not a bit less.
Not so these Goodyears are an excellent performance options especially if you deal with a lot of wet weather.
Tire Test Results : Testing Max Performance Summer Tires

1 - 13 of 13 Posts