Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking around for some struts to go with springs I'm getting for my 2011 V6 PP, and I've been wondering: What are the differences between the 2010 and 2011 S197's that'd explain why there are so many struts and caster/camber plates that exclude 2011+ support? Is it solely the differences (heavier...) created by the new engine platforms?

For instance, Evolution Performance lists the Tokico D-Spec strut kit (DSP-12) under their 2011 V6 parts.

However, on the Tokico website/catalogue, all products "2011+" are "In Dev". I imagine this all comes down to Tokico wanting to tune in their product quality, and some vendors wanting to sell what still works; right? Are there differences between the 2010 and 2011 suspension at the strut tower ends? And yes, I did at least go through four pages of different google searches before asking that last question. ;] I'm certain it all comes down to the weight factor, I just want to make sure, in case I jump into the pool and make things work out with some nonspecific parts.

Also, I have a strut tower brace - noticed a lot of caster/camber plates come with particularly short bolts, should I just reuse my stock bolts if I upgrade those? Or purchase new bolts from HDR?

·
Registered
199 Posts
For 2011 you need to switch to gt500 strut mounts for 2005 + and then you'll have no fitment issues.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I lowered my 11 with the Roush lowering springs and broke the stock mounts a few miles down the road. I finally got my hands on some GT500 mounts and the stock Struts don't fit. So yesterday I ordered Koni Str.t (20% right now) and Steeda Sport Springs. Lots of people have said its a great combo. From what I have learned the weight difference requires a change in springs from 2010 to 2011 but the struts for the 2010 work great.

I also ordered panhard bar and LCA brackets from BMR.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice, ya, I did eventually get the whole spiel on GT500 mounts and incompatibility with our stock struts (but wut about GT shocks? D:).

I think I'll end up waiting it out for some 2011-specific struts, can only really hope that they'll fit together at this rate, right?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I lowered my 11 with the Roush lowering springs and broke the stock mounts a few miles down the road. I finally got my hands on some GT500 mounts and the stock Struts don't fit. So yesterday I ordered Koni Str.t (20% right now) and Steeda Sport Springs. Lots of people have said its a great combo. From what I have learned the weight difference requires a change in springs from 2010 to 2011 but the struts for the 2010 work great.

I also ordered panhard bar and LCA brackets from BMR.
Where did you order the Koni's from and do they have them in stock? Everywhere I've seen has them on backorder at the moment. Makes me wish I had ordered sooner even though I won't get my car till June...

·
Token asian guy
2,783 Posts
The strut and upper struts are different from '10 and older. I have Koni STR. Ts and using my stock upper strut mount mated to my MM CC plates and I haven't broken them yet.

Where did you order the Koni's from and do they have them in stock? Everywhere I've seen has them on backorder at the moment. Makes me wish I had ordered sooner even though I won't get my car till June...
Strano Performance Parts - Part Details

·
Registered
119 Posts
The strut and upper struts are different from '10 and older. I have Koni STR. Ts and using my stock upper strut mount mated to my MM CC plates and I haven't broken them yet.

Thanks for the link, I have to give him a call in a few hours but I'm pretty sure he's out of stock on the fronts. Oh well, have an entire suspension coming in from him so might as well get on the list. Should be fun with the Koni's, steeda sports, and Fayes2 Watts link. Might have to stop by Oceanside to see your car before I take mine from CA to VA

·
Registered
17 Posts
FCMalie, I just talked to Strano a few minutes ago and he is out of Steeda's but has more coming early next week. The Koni's are out as well with no ETA, but he mentioned the fronts he could get his hands on easily. I found another company here in Washington that had 1 set of Koni's left and they are now on the way. I bought my Steeda's direct and they are also now on the way. Can't wait to get my car back together and drive.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yea, luckily I won't be getting my car till June. Still a bit of time to get them. I guess I could always wait till later to install them. Couldn't make the call today, but will try tomorrow and just ask him to ship when he gets them all. No big deal. Guess I could always see if he suggests anything as much as the koni's.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

Wait, wut?

You blew my mind here, quite a bit. I actually had to stop and reread a few online sources and diagrams on suspensions. AFAIK, your CC plates were replacements for your upper strut mounts. What you mated to your plates was probably your stock spring receiver?

[edit]BTW, I got my answer: The 2011+ struts have removed 1.5" of nonthreaded shank. See Pg. 7 of this install guide http://www.maximummotorsports.com/content/install/pdf/front_susp/Mm5CC-6.pdf

[edit:2]I meant spring perch.

·
Registered
2018 Mustang GT Manual
1,595 Posts
I lowered my 2011 and used the stock upper mounts and stock shocks and I've already broke 1 of the mounts. As soon as I get new shocks I'll replace the broken mount.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts