Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I know this is somewhat a common problem since these tranny's are junk...anyway I don't have an issue with mine kicking out of 2nd or anything, but it does wine...it has since about 10k miles..there is 22k on it now...I was trying to get an opinion...should I mention something to ford about it now, or should I wait closer until 36k? My luck, I will get a rebuilt transmission or something, and then I will have worse problems...right now it just wines, especially if you are in a high gear and have the rpms pretty low.

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
My whined at 3k got worse at 7k evened out at 10k with amsoil.

·
Registered
83 Posts
right now it just wines, especially if you are in a high gear and have the rpms pretty low.
Usually trans whine is at high rpm. It sounds like you have a whiny differential. Mine whines a bit in 5th and 6th at lower rpms when cruising, it's a lot more noticeable now that I put in LCAs

Do you have a 3.73 rear by chance???

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nope, I have 3.31's or 3.55's whichever comes in the base gts. It is definately in the shifter...if I put pressure on the shifter it changes the tone of it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
if you feel it's a concern get it looked at right away. Don't wait til the end of the warranty, that just signals you don't really care very much about the outcome.

Whines in the trans aren't normal, regardless of what Ford says or some people here might say. they are a function a a clearance opening up that shouldn't be; there's a number of possible reasons for that. Just because you can still shift a trans does not mean all's well. Mine started at a couple thousand miles and once I got Ford to rebuild it, a huge number of problems were found inside the trans. It shifted fine but, my assessment it was the input shaft bearing as precipitating cause proved correct.

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Warranty ends at 5 year 60k miles. 3yr 36k is just bumper to bumper. Get it looked at now, so if they rebuild yours or put a new one in, you have that much more time to put on it so if it too has problems, you can still get it taken care of.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Take it in, i had the same issue and brought it in around 2000 miles and they gave me the old it's too new and then again @ 10k and they said that it was normal.

After another six months i went in and acted like i was interesting in buying a new one and went for a test drive and said man this tranny sure is quiet, after that i went over to the service department and asked the guy to go for a ride with me.

He immediately agreed something was wrong and they replaced a bunch of crap and it's nice a silent now, i would take it in and if they give you **** about it make them take you for a ride in one off the lot to show them the difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just do as I did and buy a Tremec :yes

·
Bo Baustin
13,134 Posts
Mine rear end whines like a bitch. Tranny seems fine though.

You guys think new fluid in the rear would help? I do have LCAs.

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Mine rear end whines like a bitch. Tranny seems fine though.

You guys think new fluid in the rear would help? I do have LCAs.
Doubt it, take it in and let them fix it under warranty for free. Then use a different fluid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts