Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, was curious as to what all is some more good mods I can do.

I have a base 2012 GT

Magnaflow muffler deletes (axlebacks)
Lethal Performance Stainless Steel offroad X pipe (on the way)
C&L CAI
Barton Short throw shifter
SCT Programmer with BAMA tunes
Have wheels, LED interior lights from superbrightLED,
getting ready to order the smoked halo lights from american muscle along with the side louvers.
Ordered the LED license plate light as well.

Mainly looking for some go fast mods other than a supercharger....don't have the funds for that...was thinking the boss intake....are bigger throttle bodies worth putting on these cars? Any suggestions as to what other things are great on these cars?

·
aloha ke akua
13,177 Posts
I think most people also pick up a JLT oil separator. I know that isn't a go fast mod, though. I'll let someone with a 2011+ chime in on that, though.

·
Want Camels?
1,041 Posts
How about going for LCA?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
imo, you won't see a large enough gain to justify the boss intake...especially since the gains are only in the higher RPM range. i'd start working the suspension to how you want the car to handle. start with a good set of springs from Steeda or BMR and some Koni yellows

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
are the oil seperators actually worth having? I have never used one... jayman...is yours new or used? How much? Bigger injectors on these cars worth getting or are the stockers fine up to a certain point?

The LCA's doesn't sound like a bad thing to do...anyone have any experience with the ones by BMR or J&M from american muscle?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
the oil separator connects to your PCV hose to prevent oil vapors from being recycled back through the intake manifold. Yes, they are worth buying. You will find a little oil from time to time.

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
First off, get the oil separator. Worth every penny.

Skip the throttle body for now, until you go with a blower. Not much gain for the cost. I'm talking 1 HP not much gain.

The Boss intake is a love-it-or-leave-it thing. The only way you will notice any gains is to try it for yourself. You will need 3.73s for this one to be of any real help, though.

Best go-fast parts for the 5.0 are better LCAs, better tires, and agood driver mod.

More importantly than anything else-
:pics

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
If you like to run your car out in the upper rpms alot... then go for it cause I love it. Otherwise might want to look into the Cobra jet that's out now, that doesn't lose low end tq and gains more hp up top than the Boss(supposedly, still haven't seen enough dyno/track runs with it to be certain).
Might want to get the shifter bracket along w/ the short throw. Will complement the sts very well.
1-piece driveshaft will help out a decent amount too. Messed with mine some last night while replacing the clutch and it needs to be replaced asap. 2 piece just scares the crap out of me when doing triple digits.
Like said above, a new throttle body on these cars aren't worth it at all. No gains, and you'll need a custom intake for it too. You might want to also do some searching on the CAI for these cars too. Decent amount of people have tested and proved they don't gain as much(if any at all in some cases) to justify spending $400+, unless you can get it used.
+99999 on the oil separator. Below is one month of it being on and semi hard driving.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The C&L CAI I already have...I got it from a buddy for 150 never installed...bought my programmer from him for 50, bought the short throw for 100, and bought the muffler deletes for 150.

Oil seperator looks like I am definately getting...checking to see if jayman can cut me a deal first.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
The C&L CAI I already have...I got it from a buddy for 150 never installed...bought my programmer from him for 50, bought the short throw for 100, and bought the muffler deletes for 150.

Oil seperator looks like I am definately getting...checking to see if jayman can cut me a deal first.
Yea for that price I would have gotten one too.
If you can't get one for a decent price, I might know a guy selling his(went gt500 and wanted everything back stock).

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright, thanks man! I will keep you posted...I sent jayman a PM about it and will let you know when I hear from him. Does he have LCA's as well? I wouldn't be opposed to buying used LCA's if they were in good shape.

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
It sounds like you're definitely headed in the right direction! You have a great list of mods so far. There's still a lot of great mods out there that will benefit your 5.0! I would definitely think about the Boss Manifold, A Set of Gears, some suspension mods and you can get a Catch can for some maintenance if you'd like. All of these are great mods and I'm confident you'll be extremely happy with all of them!

Let me know if I can be of any assistance! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It sounds like you're definitely headed in the right direction! You have a great list of mods so far. There's still a lot of great mods out there that will benefit your 5.0! I would definitely think about the Boss Manifold, A Set of Gears, some suspension mods and you can get a Catch can for some maintenance if you'd like. All of these are great mods and I'm confident you'll be extremely happy with all of them!

Let me know if I can be of any assistance! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
Thank you! Will do! I will be ordering the smoked halo lights and the side louvers pre-painted from you guys very soon, and may add LCA's to my order as well.

·
Want Camels?
1,041 Posts
Don't put the oil back to the crank, just get rid of it

·
Regular
71 Posts
Otherwise might want to look into the Cobra jet that's out now, that doesn't lose low end tq and gains more hp up top than the Boss(supposedly, still haven't seen enough dyno/track runs with it to be certain.
where is that available?

and LCA's are a good way to go OP, about to order some as we speak, just kinda split on which ones i should get.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
where is that available?

and LCA's are a good way to go OP, about to order some as we speak, just kinda split on which ones i should get.
everyone lists the intake, but no one has it.

it is supposed to start shipping on the 15th of this month.

the lca's are a no brainer, BMR

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
where is that available?

Only a few places have it so far LMR, CJ Pony Parts, and FRPP. It's not cheap and you'll have to get a custom tune for it since it just a came out.

And +1 w/ BMR.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts