Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On November 7th, I got into an accident with my 7 month, 4200k mile Mustang. I was approaching a slight right hand curve in the road doing 35-40mph, downshifted, locking up my tires. Short story short, this sent me doing a 360 across traffic(I thankfully avoided all the cars), hitting a curb parallel to the passenger side. When I hit the curb, my car hopped over it, and I landed in the grass. The curb was maybe 6 inches long. The rear right wheel was completely destroyed and the face of the wheel was ripped off. The front wheel held up much better, just having a chip.

Fast forward 22 days, the adjuster from my insurance company as well as the dealership wrote me up an initial estimate, preformed some initial diagnostics, and ordered parts. According to the estimate, the damage was to the Lower Air Radiator Deflector, two Wheels, two Valve Stems, Front Wheel Hub, Lower Control Arm in the right front suspension, real axle shafts(left and right), rear axle bearings(left and right), rear axle seals(left and right), two brake calipers(rear), and two disc brakes(rear).

After the dealership gets all that assembled back together and fix the apparent bent/damaged parts , we are still waiting on the parts to come, then they will proceed to check and measure the suspension, align the wheels, check for more damage, and hopefully check the uni-body.

The main concerns I'm reaching out to you guys for advice and input for are, do you think that a 35-40mph parallel hit on the curb could have damaged the Uni body/Uni-frame of my car? I was thinking that since the suspension took a hit parallel to the curb, that when it hit the curb, the impact also moved/damaged/bent the frame, since the suspension is connected to the frame?

Next, do you guys think that after my car is repaired, will it preform the same before the accident. With all this delay in the repair gives me to much time to think, and realizing that maybe my car wont be the same truely brakes my heart. The car is brand new! It's been my dream car forever, and I am a complete f**k up for ruining it. I've dreamed of this car, only for me to hurt it 4200k miles later.

Also, if the two rear axles were damaged, how are the axle housings not damaged? It's not listed on the estimate.

Here's some pictures so you guys can better judge the damage.

Where I landed:

Rear wheel destroyed:

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
fairly unlikely, but I think what could be tweaked is where your suspension bolts to the car itself.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I personally think you'll be alright. I was in a head on collison in my Explorer a few years back, did 22k in damages. It was repaired and you would have never known there was a problem. Good Luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fairly unlikely, but I think what could be tweaked is where your suspension bolts to the car itself.
If the place where the suspension bolts to the car is compromised and tweeked, will it affect the performance/handing/drive of the car?

I personally think you'll be alright. I was in a head on collison in my Explorer a few years back, did 22k in damages. It was repaired and you would have never known there was a problem. Good Luck!
Thanks for the input. Sorry to hear about the accident but glad to hear she drove fine.

·
DEC '12 ROTM CO-Winner
5,081 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident, but that is a great looking car :yes I don't think you will have to worry about it driving the same after the repair. They wouldn't give it back to you if it still felt the slightest bit damaged.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to hear about the accident, but that is a great looking car :yes I don't think you will have to worry about it driving the same after the repair. They wouldn't give it back to you if it still felt the slightest bit damaged.
I would hope that the dealership would fix it right and make sure it drives perfect before they return it to me, I could only hope.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, the dealership told me that after they replace all the apparent bent parts, that they will get the car up on the alignment rack, and this should indicate weather the cars good to go, or weather there is further damage they have to check for.

I'm just a little confused on how the alignment rack would suggest if the cars good to go, or if it needs to be checked out further? Can someone please explain how this works? I'm presuming that the alignment rack they're talking about is for the wheels.[

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
715 Posts
You never know... There could be things that got twisted or tweaked. I would check everything out personally, people overlook things sometimes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: All the parts came today, and they started working on the rear of the car. They put the axle's in, but discovered something else was bent. I kind of figured when I looked at the list and only saw that they thought the axle's, brakes, and wheels were broken.

Anyway, they said that they're figuring out what else is bent, but Rachel said something about either the axle housing or axle plates? I don't really remember since I got all worked up when she told me there was more damage.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Pretend Mustang Guru
329 Posts
You would be surprised how much damage can be fixed. My friend works at a dealership and shows me pics of the cars he works on and some are FAR more tweaked than yours. He says most of the time after cars leave they handle BETTER due to the new components that were replaced. Tho since your car is already in fantastic shape I presume it will handle like the day you got it. I would follow arrayray's advice and do a visual check as well. The last step id find a parking lot and run the suspension as hard as i could and see is it handles like it did original and if it makes any strange noises form the suspension or rear end.

Glad to hear your alright tho and I hope your car gets back to you as soon as possible

·
Registered
588 Posts
Sorry to hear about your car.
I have seen far worse fixed without a clue of it ever being worked on.
The rack will make sure everything is running plumb, true, and square
where it should be. I think it will all be ok

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
my opinion being that im in the industry is this

they will measure your unibody, upper and lower, it wouldnt hurt to just ask as well, to get confirmation for yourself, all the parts that will need to be replaced, will be.

in any and all collision jobs the goal is to return the car to pre-accident condition
(even if that means the car will be in better condition than before the accident, meaning ex: if you had chips all over your bumper but it got ripped and was deemed unusable/not able to be fixed youd be fitted with a new bumper and obviously a repaint, which would make it better than pre accident condition)

now there are shady shops out there, so i cant speak for everyone, but it should still perform the same, the only thing it will affect will be the value when someone finds out it has been wrecked it might raise some brows, otherwise it should be fine.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
my opinion being that im in the industry is this

they will measure your unibody, upper and lower, it wouldnt hurt to just ask as well, to get confirmation for yourself, all the parts that will need to be replaced, will be.

in any and all collision jobs the goal is to return the car to pre-accident condition
(even if that means the car will be in better condition than before the accident, meaning ex: if you had chips all over your bumper but it got ripped and was deemed unusable/not able to be fixed youd be fitted with a new bumper and obviously a repaint, which would make it better than pre accident condition)

now there are shady shops out there, so i cant speak for everyone, but it should still perform the same, the only thing it will affect will be the value when someone finds out it has been wrecked it might raise some brows, otherwise it should be fine.
Just to add about the resale value. The way my wife tells it, "A deer hit her" 3 weeks after buying a brand new M3. It didn't do much damage, damaged the fender and door and could have been fixed but my wife near had a **** fit when they wanted to "fix it" rather than replace the panels. Long story short, they replaced the panels and paint matched it and it looked perfect. Three years later, when we were considering trading it in, we took it to CarMax to see what they might offer. They test drove and inspected the car and within 30 minutes came back and noted damage repair (we had actually forgotten about it).

If I were you, I would get a "diminished value" attorney and sure for that.

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
Hey bud, I took my 08 Gt premium into a wall in a drift comp, some similar damage. The car never felt right afterword. I ended up having to trade it away to get into a different car. Just my Experience. The 5.0 was an upgrade anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts