Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to see if anyone else is having, or knows of someone having the same problem I am.

2013 V6 has been having a problem when starting and driving car from a cold start (or almost cold) the engine has dramatically reduced power, and strains to rev past 4k. The ECU is going into safe mode. If I cycle the ignition is runs perfect, until it cools down and does it again, most of the time. It has been to the dealer twice now. Check engine light comes on, sometimes, but goes off again. It is recording a cam position sensor fault. The first time they updated the ECU. The tech that had is this time spoke to Ford. they had him check the harness, all the sensors, connections, the cam phaser, and install the latest updates. He was honest and told me that he didn't find any problem. Ford told him to have me drive it and if it comes back they will send someone to look at it. I know its the VVT on the bank 1 exhuast cam, but they checked that too and found no problems.

Anyone else have a problem like this. The next step is for the dealer to bring someone from Ford to look at.

·
13 v6
20 Posts
Its weird because the same thing was happening to me, but my check engine light never came on. It only does it once though from a cold start going from 2nd to third gear. After i get past that gear its fine... Thought about taking it to ford but since i am a service advisor i scanned for any codes and found none. So i assumed its just the fluids being cold. Eh if my check engine light comes on i guess i will get it checked out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The power loss and poor running doesnt go away until you cycle the ignition on mine. My check engine light doesnt always come on, and it actually went out with the problem still occuring. Crazy

·
13 v6
20 Posts
I would imagine if your check engine light came on you would have codes in there, even if the check engine light does not stay on. They would be considered history codes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The code was for the cam positioner sensor, but all the wiring and the sensor checked fine.

·
Want Camels?
1,041 Posts
Throw it for them, ask for your money back or trade for a new one

·
Registered
14 Posts
check over on allfordmustangs.com they have a ford customer service rep. as a member. Deysha is the reps user name, this person will get your Dealers attention quickly!:yes

·
The Aviator
6,305 Posts
Don't blame the behavior on cold temps. There's members who live in icey conditions who have never reported this as an issue. I'd definitely get it checked out -- that's not normal behavior.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know its not cold temps that are the cause, its when the motor cools down. It feels like when its in the open loop it gets "stuck" and is not accepting feedback from the cam position sensor. So far its been fine, but its only been 3 days...lol. I'll keep ya posted

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have you changed oil recently or to a different weight oil? As I recall the cam advance is controlled by oil pressure flow....so I'm thinking the cold oil may not be flowing correctly and throwing the sensors off...If this situation goes away when the motor warms, well then I'd be sure I had the correct viscosity, and go to a full synthetic....I'd consider an OW-20......best regards Plum

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My dealer gave me lifetime oil changes when I bought the car,and they were the only ones that have touched the oil. If it happens again I'll mention that to the tech. Thanks. The problem didnt come up at, or near an oil change though.....time will tell

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well its back at the dealer for attempt number 3. Takes about 1000 miles after they clear and "troubleshoot" it for it to come back. This is there last attempt before I call Ford or contact on of their reps. That or I'm gonna pursue the lemon law issue.

·
Hot rod Stang
550 Posts
Sorry to hear about your trouble, thanks for posting it. Hope Ford get's you squared.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well its back at the dealer for attempt number 3. Takes about 1000 miles after they clear and "troubleshoot" it for it to come back. This is there last attempt before I call Ford or contact on of their reps. That or I'm gonna pursue the lemon law issue.
Excellent idea. In Florida, you have to give the manufacturer three attempts to correct the same problem. Then you can file as a lemon.

This should get their attention. And as to oil, I'll assume the dealer is using 5-20, as this is what Ford recommends for the 3.7 and 5.0 for any climate. I have also read that you do not want to use a higher viscosity; has to do with the variable cam timing. It works off of oil temp and viscosity.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its still at the dealer...:popcorn. They are replacing the VVT solenoid, hopefully I'll have it back tomorrow. The dealer told me they are using 5W-30 semi synthetic. Guess we will see...

NJ has the three strike deal to fix the car, but after that you need to send a certified letter and strike adela with the manufacturer. I ordered the car from the factory, so it won't be too easy to find another one like it. I may go through the Ford customer service rep if I have the same problem.....maybe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts