Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some testing with my Whipple mustang to determine the best mpg/rpms for city and hwy mileage. And I can't see anything better than 21 (best maybe 21.5) @ 65-68mpg, 5-gear of course "flat roads". Once I see about 70-75 I'm within the 19- low 20's.

I still see low low 17's in light city driving (not really city driving, kinda like back roads), but the motor is stock beside a 1st-gen Whipple, exhaust manifolds back Flowmaster exhaust, and Ford Racing 3.50's. My vacuum on flat ground is -10/-11. I would like to see more mph since it's my DD, and it's about time I get back to school. So...

What should I do or look for...? Unless this is just a norm for a TS supercharger? Is the 2-gens better in some cases?

Thanks Ken.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm light on the throttle.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
well considering the new 5.0's only get 26 hwy with 412 hp, i would say your sitting pretty damn good, i bet i get around 13 or so...lol

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
Surprised you're even getting that much!!
Really. I don't think you're going to improve on that at all. That is the best mileage that I have heard of with a Whipple. What size pulley are you running? The gen 2's are supposed to be more efficient meaning better boost for the blower RPM's.
I'm not sure what my peak mpg is but I'm guessing it's gotta be around 18-19 at 60 mph, but I average right around 11 mpg. I always do my mileage over a period of at least 2-3 tankfulls of gas. It is always consistent with probably less tha .5 mpg variance. I don't think I've ever come close to getting 200 miles out of a tank, more like 150 miles. I have another ride now that I use as a DD and average 25 mpg with that, but before that I was filling up at least twice a week. When I was having some fuel tank issues with the crossover working properly, I was filling up every 100 miles or so.

·
Loud Exhaust Enthusiast
5,051 Posts
well considering the new 5.0's only get 26 hwy with 412 hp, i would say your sitting pretty damn good, i bet i get around 13 or so...lol
Those EPA ratings are a bit on the high side IMO. I have car on cruise control to work and barely get 19. BARELY. If I step on the throttle at all the mpg plummets. I avg. about 14 the way I drive.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
On long trips on the interstate cruising at 80mph I get about 22, I have gotten almost 23 before. Strictly in town I get about 14-15 and combined about 18-19. I still have the stock 3:31s so I’m sure that helps on the interstate. I'm not sure if I have the gen 1 or 2, anyone know how to check?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really. I don't think you're going to improve on that at all. That is the best mileage that I have heard of with a Whipple. What size pulley are you running? The gen 2's are supposed to be more efficient meaning better boost for the blower RPM's.
I'm not sure what my peak mpg is but I'm guessing it's gotta be around 18-19 at 60 mph, but I average right around 11 mpg. I always do my mileage over a period of at least 2-3 tankfulls of gas. It is always consistent with probably less tha .5 mpg variance. I don't think I've ever come close to getting 200 miles out of a tank, more like 150 miles. I have another ride now that I use as a DD and average 25 mpg with that, but before that I was filling up at least twice a week. When I was having some fuel tank issues with the crossover working properly, I was filling up every 100 miles or so.
3.375", running at 10lbs.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On long trips on the interstate cruising at 80mph I get about 22, I have gotten almost 23 before. Strictly in town I get about 14-15 and combined about 18-19. I still have the stock 3:31s so I’m sure that helps on the interstate. I'm not sure if I have the gen 1 or 2, anyone know how to check?
Okay so pretty much the same.

To see what version you have look on top of the supercharger on that chome metal piece, heres a picture of mine.

Gen 1 serial number will start with a W3A <--- mine
Gen 2 serial number will start with a w140

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you really upset about 21 mpg on a blown V8? Lol
Upset... na, mostly curious.

I've heard of TVS superchargers seeing 24mpg+ at fwy speeds but thats a roots design (please correct me if I'm wrong). Plus I wasn't sure if other TS guys were getting better/worse mileage than me. Seem's I'm doing quite well now :naughty:

·
Registered
339 Posts
I get about 10-13mpg with my turbo car. Car wasn't built for mileage and also is not DD.

Disclaimer... I run E85

·
Loud Exhaust Enthusiast
5,051 Posts
Don't see the point in getting a SC then worrying about mpg's. If I get 12 after I blow my car I'll be ****ing impressed.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't see the point in getting a SC then worrying about mpg's. If I get 12 after I blow my car I'll be ****ing impressed.
Ehh. Thats you I guess. I like eating my cake too. ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am lucky to get 13 mpg. With 60 pound injectors and other mods its a beast. If you want more get another car and save the trouble.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
3.375", running at 10lbs.

That makes me feel a little better then. I run 10 lbs with a 1/4" smaller pulley and have a really aggressive shift tune. I would have been happy with around 14 mpg. I guess I'll just have to try and stay out of the throttle a little bit more....ya right, like that's going to freakin' happen...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh I'll eat **** out of my cake. I'll drench in gasoline and wipe my ass with MPG's. If I have 600rwhp, I'm using every single one at least once a day.
LMAO, that was good.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts