Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ifi let it idle for a while it drops to 24psi if I got to like 900 rpms it goes to 60. Am I in trouble?

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Ganna guess that is a mechanical guage.
What pump do you have?
Fresh shortblock and heads or a junkyard engine?

24 is honestly fine. It is on the low side, but the 60psi when reving is a good sign the pump is working well.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used my old block and didn't touch the bottom end except for checking bearings. And yes mechanical autometer

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
No worries whatsoever.

But for the sake of the conversation, what weight oil are you using? You need 8-10 psi per thousands RPMs, and pretty well anything at idle is fine. As long as its coming up when you give it some throttle, and makes 8-10 psi/1000 RPMs, then you're fine.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm still on junk 10w30 at 6 qts since I didn't prime the system I need to dump it. And put 5 qts of 10 40 or what would u suggest in fl heat.

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
It just depends on your bearing clearances, and such. If its holding 60 psi at throttle with 10W30, at full operation temperatures, I'd leave it. Thinner oil tends to cleanse better, while a thicker oil bears load a little better.

In my engine, I use Valvoline VR1, and I run 10w30 when I street drive the car. I get about 35-40 psi at idle, at full running temp, when it's 90*-110* outside, and makes 50-55 psi down the highway.

When I go to the track, I put 20W50 in it, and it makes 45-50 at idle, and 60 at RPM (because it bypasses). I run the thicker oil because it bears load better, so if there is an oil pump failure, or something of the sort, it "might" give a 1/16 second more time for error...lol. It'll be more forgviving on the distributor gear, and valvetrain parts.

If you switch like I do, make sure the oil has the same chemical composition. Basically, use the same oil, just a different weight.

Your oil pressure is fine.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
That's what my oil pressure is. I wouldn't worry about it

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Old oil can do that. I ran 20w50 in my fox all the time. Provided great pressure. If you want to do the same for some releif, do so. I used valvoline as well.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea I was gonna street drive vr1 but my dad used it on someone elses car so ill get another case I guess

1 - 10 of 10 Posts