Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to put new tires on the back of my 98 Cobra. It has the stock 17x8 wheels. I want the 275 40 17 Nitto NT05R. I only want to here from people that have that size on there car and the pros and cons. I fully understand the car should have 245 45s on it. My car looks completely stock and I want to keep that look(600hp under the hood though). And the Nittos run a little more narrow.

·
Registered
265 Posts
they will fit but not recommended. My son has them on his stock mustang wheels but it dont look right and he has traction issues with almost stock 2v. I would step up to a 10in or better wheel. I run 275/40/17 Nittos on 10.5in wheels and love the look and traction

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
If running 600 HP.... you are downright foolish to be looking at cutting corners. You need to have vastly more grip than OEM wheels can provide. Seeking to keep a "stock look" is hoping not to lose control of your car letting all those horses out of the stable.

Do yourself a favor and get the appropriate tires/wheels for your car to keep your power, and your tires, firmly planted on the ground :yes

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If running 600 HP.... you are downright foolish to be looking at cutting corners. You need to have vastly more grip than OEM wheels can provide. Seeking to keep a "stock look" is hoping not to lose control of your car letting all those horses out of the stable.

Do yourself a favor and get the appropriate tires/wheels for your car to keep your power, and your tires, firmly planted on the ground :yes[/QUOTE

Not trying to cut corners at all. Does someone make a exact 17x10.5 replica wheel? At my age I prefer the stock sleeper look:naughty:

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Hey, sorry to thread-jack, but Im kinda in the same boat. I have fully forged my motor, new fuel system, new rear end, etc, and plan on installing my SC next month, so I want a 10' rear wheel, but to have one that big, wouldnt I need to curl my fenders in? I really dont wanna do that if it can be helped.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Cuda, they'll be fine. You can't expect a 275 to hook at those power levels, but as long as you don't drive like an idiot, they'll be just fine for the street. I run a 275/50R17 NT450 rear tire on my blown 4V car (same power level as you) on a 17x9" wheel, and a 275/40R17 NT555 rear tire on my GT (WAY less power) on a 17x8" wheel.

·
I <3 Boost
7,687 Posts
I need to put new tires on the back of my 98 Cobra. It has the stock 17x8 wheels. I want the 275 40 17 Nitto NT05R. I only want to here from people that have that size on there car and the pros and cons. I fully understand the car should have 245 45s on it. My car looks completely stock and I want to keep that look(600hp under the hood though). And the Nittos run a little more narrow.
you can fit that tire on those wheels just fine but it will cause the tire to bulge and you will not get the full contact patch those tires could proved with a wider wheel. NT05R's also wear down very quickly and you will be lucky to get 6k miles out of them.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
Cuda, they'll be fine. You can't expect a 275 to hook at those power levels, but as long as you don't drive like an idiot, they'll be just fine for the street... "
EXACTY my point :yes

Why in the hell have that kind of power and be unable to utilize it :crazy That is a massive amount of power and just makes no sense to run a contact patch unable to harness it. Sure, one could run 900 HP on mud/show tires, if driven carefully enough.... but why?

Cuda... take a look around at site sponsors, AM and the like. You will find something at least close to OEM, but you will lose at least some of that sleeper look. This is why there are not a whole lot of such sleepers around, as high power should have appropriate grip/suspension mods to support it in a useful manner.

Jazzer :)

·
Registered
265 Posts

Why in the hell have that kind of power and be unable to utilize it :crazy That is a massive amount of power and just makes no sense to run a contact patch unable to harness it. Sure, one could run 900 HP on mud/show tires, if driven carefully enough.... but why?

Cuda... take a look around at site sponsors, AM and the like. You will find something at least close to OEM, but you will lose at least some of that sleeper look. This is why there are not a whole lot of such sleepers around, as high power should have appropriate grip/suspension mods to support it in a useful manner.

Jazzer :)
+1

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
couldnt really say how they are in the rear as thats what i run up front :facepalm:

but if you dont want to go to a wider rim i would say go with a little skinnier tire for that size. id rather have a proper fitting tire and rim combo then going wider just to get some traction.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts

First of all, I'd hope that the OP is responsible enough not to race on the street. That would fit in the "driving like an idiot" category. Secondly, speaking on my case, there isn't room to go much wider on my vehicle without sticking the tires well outside the wheelwells. I'm not a fan of the hoopty look. Finally, the OP will have no problem hooking that power on a set of slicks where it's meant to be used...at the track.

·
I Have A FLATULENT Butthole.
7,889 Posts
A 275 is not going to get any better traction than a 255 or 245 at 600 wheel horsepower. Just stick with a stock size tire. You know it will fit properly, its cheaper, and you can retain the sleeper look.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
26 Posts
My take are that the 275 40s for Nitto brand DRs works just fine at least at my (low) power level. Definately improved grip at the track and the track and think they look good mounted on on the rear. Here are a couple pics with 275/40s on the rear and stock 245s on the front so you can decide for yourself if they are bulging too much.

·
SleeperStang
3,924 Posts
i ran 255/45/17 on stockers i believe thats the widest you should go? they looked good imo. If you do go with 255 make sure you get 45 not 40. I got 40s one time in that size and the side wall was so small it made my car look like a 4x4. Im still using that size on all 4 wheels even after i put 17x9s on there.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
If you have 600hp i would most certainly invest in some 10.5 wide rims with drag radials. It would be silly to drive around with 275s on stock rims. Your not going to get any traction at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts