Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
quick question

what comes stock on a 1998 mustang gt, 28 or 31 spline axles and driveshafts?

if i bought the 31 spline ford racing driveshaft and moser axles, would i have any issues installing them? will the rear dif also need to be changed out?

i plan to buy all 3 and 4.10's, but i am just doing some research before i buy, thanks for any and all help. you all have not steered me wrong so far.

·
Registered
508 Posts
28 spine is stock. To go 31 you will have to get a new posi trac. I just put new Moser 28 spine axles in my car a couple weeks ago. :)

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
ok thanks, how do you like the 3.73's? im thinking 4.10's on mine, but i havent bought them yet. would you of went bigger if you could do it over?
You have to ask yourself.
1. Is it more of a highway car or town?
2. Are you going F/I down the road?
3. If you go 4.10 can you keep tires on it? :)

I went from 3.73 to 4.10 about 4 months ago. It bumped my car up a pretty good bit. I turn 2,400 rpm at 60mph. My 3.73's were at 2,200 at 60mph. I currently get 18mpg on average but i also romp on my car every so often.

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
im getting my 31 splines in the mail today

im using a 31 spline track lock out of a f150 on my car, was a freebe

( i bloke a stock axle last firday)

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
im getting my 31 splines in the mail today

im using a 31 spline track lock out of a f150 on my car, was a freebe

( i bloke a stock axle last firday)
how hard did you hook? I get nervous at the track with my 28's

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts

i left at 3500 letting the clutch out very easy, so if i where you i would upgarde before you are stranded like i was lol

·
Registered
701 Posts
I got the Ford Racing Cobra posi, Ford Racing 31 spline axles with 3.73s. Will be going FI kwith drag radials. With the 3.73s now the runs like a accelerates like mother.:)

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
a grand???

axles where 250

used carrier maybe a $100
I would built it with some top of the line parts so i hopfully never deal with the rear-end again. Can you change the carrier without taking the gears out because that will save the labor money?

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
im using a used track lock and i will never have problems again

shafts have a 10 year warranty on them so im not worried

·
Registered
470 Posts
I just ordered a 31 spline aluminum driveshaft from A.M cuz it said it will work with 96-04 GT's, will i run into problems since stated above our GT's are only 28 spline?

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
I just ordered a 31 spline aluminum driveshaft from A.M cuz it said it will work with 96-04 GT's, will i run into problems since stated above our GT's are only 28 spline?
whole different deal dude

dirve shaft splines are in the tail shaft not tha axle shaft

·
Registered
470 Posts
I just wanted to make sure cuz i got confused after reading this. But thanks man i learn something new everyday.

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
shafts came in this afternoon, ill be putting her back together

·
Registered
508 Posts
ok thanks, how do you like the 3.73's? im thinking 4.10's on mine, but i havent bought them yet. would you of went bigger if you could do it over?

I like the 3.73's, but I do most of my playing on the highway.:) if I did most of my driving around town I would have went with the 4.10. I have a set of 3.73 gears for sale....just thought I would throw that in. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts