Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1965 with 289 that's in pretty good shape; however, I would like to tear it down and rebuild, replaceing all wear items and gaskets (I don't want a race car, just a nice driver). I would like to replace the cam for a nicer sound, but I'm new to this. When looking, it asks for the intake/exhaust duration, but I don't know how to measure this and I cannot locate it in some of the manuals I have. How do I select the correct cam and should I replace the lifters and springs while its torn apart? I apperciate any help.

·
Anatidaephobic
2,370 Posts
duration is what your prefer its not a set measurement. the longer the duration the higher rpm power band becomes and the idle gets rough while having a loppy sound. the shorter the duration has low end power and a smooth idle. shorter duration with the smooth idle is what stock cams have.

i don't know a whole lot on selecting a cam but, to have something with more power and a good idle something like 280ish duration and .510ish lift should be good

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, this helps big time! We're starting as soon as the snow melts, so I'll make sure to post some pics along the way.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
vinyl66 is right.most times you can tell your local speed shop what trans,and rear,and engine setup you are doing and they can suggest a cam for you.

·