Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever thought about it? i had the thought the other day and the more time passes the more serious i get about it. i want to put a 289 motor into my 03 gt.
any thoughts? anyone ever heard of it bein done before? Im totally stoked about it.
BEFORE YOU ANSWER! if your gonna say that sounds stupid, you better have a good reason with your post. And yes iv researched it first, and found absolutely nothing on it. which makes me want to do it more because its really original. Thanks for all help

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
did you search for 302 in a new edge? its been talked about before and its the same thing. i dont think its stupid. whatever someone has planned for their own hobbies thats there business, nothing wrong with it at all.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Use the search feature for 302 in a New Edge. It would be the same thing. The old pushrod 289 and 302 are both small block Ford motors.

·
Registered
997 Posts
well i would assume your going to need
a new tranny
new mounts
and...
wireing
and i think thats about it:D

and patience ...
your going to need patience

feel free to correct me if im wrong

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
yup, you'll need a k-member out of a 94-95.. or you can get a tubular k member through maximum motorsports. they make one for a smallbock in a new edge.

as far as the 289 goes.. are you gonna use a carburated one? you'll need some exhaust work done, a different bellhousing and input shaft for your tranny.. i know they make them.

but why a 289? nothing wrong with it but that 4.6 makes more power and uses way less gas than a 289. even if you did aluminum heads and a big cam you still won't see much more than 320hp out of one of those with stock compression, you can get that out of your 4.6 with boltons. if i went through the effort of a smallblock in my car it would definitely be a 351W punched out to a 408 with higher compression, bigger heads, and a gnarly cam. my buddy's fairland made 537hp at the crank then raced me with 380rwhp and couldn't even get a carlength in front of me.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yup, you'll need a k-member out of a 94-95.. or you can get a tubular k member through maximum motorsports. they make one for a smallbock in a new edge.

as far as the 289 goes.. are you gonna use a carburated one? you'll need some exhaust work done, a different bellhousing and input shaft for your tranny.. i know they make them.

but why a 289? nothing wrong with it but that 4.6 makes more power and uses way less gas than a 289. even if you did aluminum heads and a big cam you still won't see much more than 320hp out of one of those with stock compression, you can get that out of your 4.6 with boltons. if i went through the effort of a smallblock in my car it would definitely be a 351W punched out to a 408 with higher compression, bigger heads, and a gnarly cam. my buddy's fairland made 537hp at the crank then raced me with 380rwhp and couldn't even get a carlength in front of me.
yeah, im gonna go tubular k member regardless if i switch engines or not.
yes i would keep it carbureted.
I just really love the 289, its my favorite engine. my aim wouldnt be tons of power. just something i love. i love my 03, and i love the 289.
that and like i said, it will be really original

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
do it ford.... I think the 429 would be VERY badass though. BIG ASS cam just having the entire car bucking its ass off. mmmmmm!

·
Penetration before detonation
2,189 Posts
Do it. Those little 289s can rev to the moon with the right set of heads and a good cam. Oh, and have fun!

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Monster!

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
what size motor you think this is. It is a BEAST and is turning these tires like they aint ****!

·
Penetration before detonation
2,189 Posts
Ford Racing Performance Parts []

Build that b*tch up, bore it to the full 605 c.i., and have fun.

(BTW, I highly doubt anyone would have the nuts to bore this thing out that far...)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
how about a 521 big block stroker
do it ford.... I think the 429 would be VERY badass though. BIG ASS cam just having the entire car bucking its ass off. mmmmmm!
i do agree, a 429 or 460 would be just as unique. but that would be a helluva lot more fabricating would it not? would that actually fit?

·
Registered
777 Posts
most buggys like that i have seen have v6 strokers or a small block v8. they can spin the tires and climb like that because of the gearing they run.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
damn! Seriously. they need tire speed so it could be geared that low huh?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts