Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sooo I got my pops looking for an older 289 (higher nickel content, thicker block) So i can put one together and never have to worry about breaking ****. my question is.. since a 289 is 302's daddy ... could a fox EFI system ecu etc work on a 289. I'm sure there would be tweaks just more or less

Can i use newer fox technology and ecu and whatnot on an older 289.

or if you have any other ideas for how i shoudl od this let me know like boring it to a 302 or something. thanks guys.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel pretty dumb with old tech merging to new tech but if i got a 289 could i just hook all the efi stuff on it and plug n play (i know its not that easy i just need clarification on how difficult the task will be to know if im going to go through with this or not)

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
Yeah, more or less you can do that, but you're not really gaining much. I'm not aware of any 289s with higher nickel content to make them stronger. The early 351W had a higher nickel content, and they stronger, but I'm not sure about the short decks.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well here let me ask you straight up then.... what blocks are stronger then 79-93 302's but are easy to find and not gonna break a bank. I can find a garden variety 289 maybe a 302 from the 60s easy. but I'll ask you cuz you got the knowledge. Ford is all new to me still

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how well does 351 like to go in fox's as well what about fuel injection. Would i have to use like a 1G lightning motor or something.

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
how well does 351 like to go in fox's as well what about fuel injection. Would i have to use like a 1G lightning motor or something.
They go in well, and are a lot better platform, due to the extra strength and cubes. I'm not much help with fuel injection, but it shouldn't be big deal.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I'll probably try and find a 1G lightning then cuz they were fuel injected 351 or are older 351 blocks better?

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
Well, how much power are you wanting to make? 400ish to the tires, and a good tune, and a 302 is "ok.". Any late model 351 block is good for 650-700 ish. I've seen earl 351 blocks go close to 1000.

Now keep in mind that there are a lot of variables to those numbers, and nothing is set in stone.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im only looking to make 400ish to the wheels for now but want the POTENTIAL to make a 9 second-ish car without having to play with the block.

EDIT: 10 second

·
Registered
204 Posts
when I talked with Kuntz of Kuntz racing years ago he told me the 60s 302 block would around 50 to 100 more HP the the late model 5.0 stuff BUT that is still only if the tune is on. if you run the older block you are gone to have to run the retro fit lifters or a small base circle cam shaft. I would just get the lifters they are much better then the stock stuff. and Like said you will need to have the right balancer and flywheel as the old stuff runs 28oz just like the 351W engines and you will need to make sure you run a late model camshaft or you could run a flat tappet camshaft but it will have to be for the 5.0 firing order that is also the same as the 351w engines and you will need a different oil pan as the old blocks don't have a hole for a dip stick like the newer ones do.
If it was me I would the extra cash and go the 351 also but thats me.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
uedlose so you stay a modern early-mid 90s 351 also if i was to get a 351.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Doesn't really matter much what 351W block you get. If it's a flat tappet block, just use link bar lifters like mentioned if you want to make it a roller like the newer 351's. Link bar lifters are a better design anyway. Any 351 block will get you to your goals easily in a fox. With a tuner you can run the stock fox computer and wiring. I run a 408 in my fox with the stock computer and a quarterhorse. It's not a hard swap to do.

If you want a stronger 302 based block, the mexican blocks have beefier main webbings and bigger caps, but it's still not as strong as a 351. As far as I know the only 289 blocks that were anything special were the HiPo's and that may even have been a myth floating around.

·