Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I bought my car shifting into 2nd gear at high rpms or power-shifting has been a problem. My first attempt to fix was a Pro 5.0 shifter which has helped and then new transmission fluid. Both these helped for a while but I've learned that the transmission is more likely to shift at high rpms into 2nd if the cars warmed up. Its getting worse and it has always done worse in cold which has hit Auburn quickly this year. I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar problems? Also should mention if Im spinning then it WILL NOT go into 2nd gear. Any and all suggestions are welcomed. I'm debating selling GT if some scholarships come through or maybe alot of upgrades and this is a major set back on the track.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no idea, might want to be easy on the car with your shifting until you get it taken cared of.
i think ive passed that point...ill go talk to the guy i trust in the next week of so and ask him the cost of syncho and gear replacement with me pulling transmission out bringing it to him

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
If it's a T-45 it's most likely a bent 1st/2nd gear shiftfork. Common problem in the T-45.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2004 tremec 3650.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Bent shift fork/bad synchro. If the shifter stops were set on your Pro 5.0, they may have actually sped the process of the shift fork to go bad. T3650 has internal stops, while the T45 does not. Transmatic will charge you $1200 JUST to look at it and crack it open, let alone for parts and other labor. IF you take it to them, I'd just buy a new transmission for that price.

Husco rebuilt my 3rd gear for $553 dollars. I still ahve the receipt laying around somewhere.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bent shift fork/bad synchro. If the shifter stops were set on your Pro 5.0, they may have actually sped the process of the shift fork to go bad. T3650 has internal stops, while the T45 does not. Transmatic will charge you $1200 JUST to look at it and crack it open, let alone for parts and other labor. IF you take it to them, I'd just buy a new transmission for that price.

Husco rebuilt my 3rd gear for $553 dollars. I still have the receipt laying around somewhere.
Ill use my dads sources if it comes to that but if the bill adds up like that a t56 is going in so no more issues while its lowly modded. Husco will be on my callin list tho. wouldnt a bad synchro pop out of gear tho?

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Not exactly. That can be ONE problem with a synchro, but is not an acurate diagnosis. If you're grinding into gear AND it blocks you out, I wouldn't be afraid to say that it's the synchro and the fork.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
drive out here i have a spare 3650 sitting in the back yard

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not exactly. That can be ONE problem with a synchro, but is not an acurate diagnosis. If you're grinding into gear AND it blocks you out, I wouldn't be afraid to say that it's the synchro and the fork.
ive been thinkin its the fork for a while...its only every once and well except on spinning and cold start, but im doin minimal driving up here so if its both i can hold till more scholarships free up some cash. U have Husco's #?

drive out here i have a spare 3650 sitting in the back yard
if only u were in short driving range....

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
if its a 3650, its very likely to be a synchro issue, or your 5.0 shifter could be set wrong. if I remember correctly you dont need to set the stops on the shifter as the 3650 has stops built in. When my 3650 had this problem I had it fixed under warranty, the part kit alone was ~1300, no clue what labor was.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
+1; it could be fork, syncro, hub assembly, dog teeth...

·
Registered
86 Posts
ford had a tsb on the tr3650 trannys ,the synchros for 2 and 3rd gear were junk and the shift forks were bending causing shifting probs. call pro-motion they sell a kit to fix this problem you are having.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
my '02 (3650),,,doesn't quite 'grind' second,,but I can definitely 'feel' the teeth of the gear as it goes in. Mostly during the first few shifts of the morning. Then seems to get better.

If the problem gets better,,,is it likely I'm just low on fluid? (totally stock)

thanks

·
Registered
348 Posts
I am having this same exact problem on my 06 :(

·
Registered
107 Posts
i got a quote from my local ford shop ( this is just for the 3rd gear synchro ) that was over $100 but that might not be just the problem untill its opened, i know a guy that will rebuild a tranny for a case of beer :D not to sure what he charges other people

1 - 20 of 21 Posts