Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am new to driving a manual. I have a 94 Cobra. When I want to accelerate quickly from a light around town. I start in first, quickly shift to 2nd and accelerate to about 50mph and shift directly into 5th. Well when I do this it always grinds 5th until the rpms come down to about 2500k. Am I doing something wrong? Any advice? Thanks much :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
I think it has something to do with the synchros. Mine does the same thing

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
its the shifter. get a shifter like an MGW or steeda tri ax and you wont have the problem anymore

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
then theres no way you should be missing third. the shifter has built in centering springs. something must be wrong with your shifter

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
then theres no way you should be missing third. the shifter has built in centering springs. something must be wrong with your shifter
Well In going from 2nd to 5th. Skipping 3rd and 4th. Cuz I am up to about 50mph and at the point I just want to cruise

·
Resident Headbanger
2,428 Posts
Instead of accelerating all the way to 50mph in 2nd, you could shift at 30mph into 3rd and shift at 40mph from 3rd to 4th.

·
Registered
609 Posts
i got it.....dont shift from 2nd to 5th..problem solved

·
Registered
609 Posts
in all my years of driving a stick, i cant think of a time where i went from 2nd to 5th...often time 2nd to 4th, but not directly to 5th...

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
in all my years of driving a stick, i cant think of a time where i went from 2nd to 5th...often time 2nd to 4th, but not directly to 5th...
what he said

·
Registered
144 Posts
So I am new to driving a manual. I have a 94 Cobra. When I want to accelerate quickly from a light around town. I start in first, quickly shift to 2nd and accelerate to about 50mph and shift directly into 5th. Well when I do this it always grinds 5th until the rpms come down to about 2500k. Am I doing something wrong? Any advice? Thanks much :)
I do 2nd to 5th a lot. Especially when getting on the highway. My 2nd is good to past 70Mph which puts me right at the cruise for 5th. Just wait for the engine rpm to drop down to near the correct RPM for the speed. It will go in.
Some times if I am not in a hurry or I am starting off going down hill, I will do 1st, 3rd, then 5th or maybe 1st just to get it rolling a little, then 2nd, and 4th. It all depends on what the road is like and what I want to do with it. Why I drive a manual transmission. The car is always in the gear I am about to need instead of the gear it was in last. So long as I do my part that is.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I rarely ever use 1st gear, because it'll be 3000 RPMS by 20mph. So, I start in 2nd and usually go through the gears, but my 5th gear grinds above 1500 RPM. Would just getting a new shifter help that, or is it what I think it is, bearings going out?

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
I shift out of 1st within 15 feet. I just use 1st to get rolling and immediately go to 2nd. I usually skip 3rd in city driving and go straight to 4th then 5th right after. 4.10's are kind of a pain

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
^^

lol you should try it with 4.30's...

·
Registered
609 Posts
what would happen if you ran 2 stangs with identical motor and upgrades in the 450-500rwhp range with different rear gears?

3:73 and 4:10 are awesome for stock cars, or ones that dont have too much power i know....but in the 500 range, would stock 3:28 or 3:73 get you down the 1/4 faster? surely shifting would play some sort of role..what do you guys think?

·
Registered
82 Posts
what would happen if you ran 2 stangs with identical motor and upgrades in the 450-500rwhp range with different rear gears?

3:73 and 4:10 are awesome for stock cars, or ones that dont have too much power i know....but in the 500 range, would stock 3:28 or 3:73 get you down the 1/4 faster? surely shifting would play some sort of role..what do you guys think?
from what little I know, 4.10's (and higher gears) are for quickness, and generally have shorter shifts down low if you are doing 'normal' driving. the lower gears will allow people, like some here, to reach 70 mph in 2nd gear. I don't think that'd be terribly quick, though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts