Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Roush Stage 2 Clone ;)
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2000 gt with a 2v. Its got the stock exhaust manifolds, with an offroad h pipe, flow masters, and catback magnaflow tips. My question is, id have to get shorty headers for it right? Because of the current mid pipe I've got.. Also, another question, what brand oglf headers do you guys prefer? What's a good brand for the 4.6 in your opinions? I used to have Mac shorties on my fox coupe and was satisfied with them.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Yea with u having a full length x pipe, shorties is what u need. I run Mac longtubes and love them on my 4.6. Don't know if they make shorties but I'm sure they do. They are great priced and have good quality with their stuff. I'd recommend hooker, slp, or Mac personally.

·
MM's V6 Hater
13,422 Posts
You'll need shorties if you don't want to change your mid

Kooks,slp, and Mac would be the long tubes of choice. I've got flow tech LTs made by headman who also makes hooker iirc

·
Roush Stage 2 Clone ;)
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh okay thanks guys, or guy and girl. Haha. And yeah I might end up changing my mid pipe to an offroad x pipe. I've heard that the x pipe is a little more "raspy" and the h pipe makes a deeper sound. Is that right? I've only had offroad h pipes on all my stangs.

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Im running BBK shorties on my 2000GT with a Summitt racing off road H pipe and a Borla cat back system. These are the headers I used in the link below the fitment was great, I have had them off twice this year doing motor upgrades.
BBK Mustang Shorty Tuned Length Headers (96-04 GT) 1615 - Free Shipping!

I would suggest these locking header bolts so you will never have an issue with a bolt backing out. I also suggest only using Ford OEM gaskets or gaskets made of the same multi metal material for longevity and sealing purposes.

Ford Racing Stage 8 Locking Header Bolts M-9432-A54 - SummitRacing.com

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
If you're already considering replacing your midpipe why not go with longtubes? I woulnd't let a $125 midpipe limit my decisions. Pacesetter LTs on mine, I've installed most brands (never Kooks) and they all have pros and cons. For the most part their all the same (except for Kooks) and will have similar fitment. I will say that most require one header to be removed for transmission removal, the Pacesetter LTs do not require this. My biggest suggestion is to buy ceramic coated headers..... no matter whether you go short or long tube.

·
Roush Stage 2 Clone ;)
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah that's what I was saying, if I replace my mid pipe then id go long tube headers also. But thanks

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Oh okay thanks guys, or guy and girl. Haha. And yeah I might end up changing my mid pipe to an offroad x pipe. I've heard that the x pipe is a little more "raspy" and the h pipe makes a deeper sound. Is that right? I've only had offroad h pipes on all my stangs.
I think the X has a more raspy sound than the H. I was a diehard fox 5.0 so my '01 has BBK longtubes, BBK 2.5 catted H, and Spintech mufflers help for the sound I like.

·
Muffins!
1,103 Posts
I've got BBK Longtubes on mine with a BBK offroad X and Flowmasters, love it.

·
Roush Stage 2 Clone ;)
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice. Ive just gotta decide if i wanna just get shorties, or if i wanna go long tubes and an O/R x pipe

·
Registered
907 Posts
+1 on ceramic coated! Always get ceramic coated headers. They last SO much longer looking good. Non coated headers rust in a month.

·
Torchin tires...
2,206 Posts
Arent longtubes a bitch to install with the stock kmember?

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
No, not really

Sent from my LG-AS680 using AutoGuide App

·
MMR 950 5.0 Stroker
1,322 Posts
My BBK LTs were a pain to install. Had to modify my tranny pan and parts of the headers themselves and there is NO way to pull the tranny with em in. And to remove em gota drop the entire K member. They do sound really good though, but the second i find a good deal on a set of Kooks , ima be all over it! I have a few friends with bbk shorties and the install was much easier then LTs and sounds pretty damn good too.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Not if you remove it. 2 1/2 to 3 hour job.

The first set I installed took 7 hours from the top side without removing anything. Every set since then has been with K member removal. Much faster.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Not if you remove it. 2 1/2 to 3 hour job.

The first set I installed took 7 hours from the top side without removing anything. Every set since then has been with K member removal. Much faster.

My first time was 7 hours with the k in but that was staying at 3am after working a 12hr shift. When my gaskets blew I did them in 2hrs

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
shorties are just like having stock manifolds. Everything will clear coming down

1 - 20 of 39 Posts