Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Moved from the gear ratio sticky)

What's up people. I'm brand new to the forums. Traded my 06' Impala SS for shiny new 08' GT Deluxe (5 spd) last weekend.:D Absolutely love the car. Problem is, it came with the 3.31 rear. After reading through this thread and others, I'm thinking of going with 3.73. It's going to be my DD, and there's a chance I may do a SC down the road ( hopefully, I'm playing the lottery on a weekly basis). I guess my question is, how does the quality of the ford racing gears stack up to other brands?( I'm assuming there are others out there, but honestly I'm not sure). There's a set on Ebay right now for a decent price so I'm wondering if I should take the plunge and snag it now. Also, I've seen a few online part dealers that have install kits as an optional/ related purchase. I'm guessing that I'd need that too. Other planned mods in the future are pretty standard I guess, CAI with a tune, short throw shifter and an exhaust. Please forgive my noobishness and thanks in advance.

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
welcome to the forums man.

FRPP is a good kit.

though I doubt you need a bearing install kit with your car being so new.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
ford racing is one of the top brands for our cars, and I would get the install kit also it's cheap insurance.

·
Registered
991 Posts
FRRP is the best to go with most other companies gears' whine

·
Registered
101 Posts
Welcome to the forums. It's good to have you. I have to agree with everyone else. You can't go wrong with Ford Racing gears.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I love my 3.73's. Based on my Shade tree mechanic status I opted to have the dealer install. No regrets!!!

Welcome to MM, it has been a great resource for me. Post so pics!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the quick responses guys. So Ford Racing is the way to go eh? And yeah I'll definitely have a pro doing this mod. After that, a CAI w/a tune and a short throw.:yes
I'm going to clay bar and polish it this weekend, then I'll post some pics.

@07GT-CS....How do you like the Hurst shifter?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses guys. So Ford Racing is the way to go eh? And yeah I'll definitely have a pro doing this mod. After that, a CAI w/a tune and a short throw.:yes

I love it, I just installed it this week. Install took about 90 mins and was very easy. :):):)

·
MMs Ford Racing Nut Swinger
4,370 Posts

DONT KNOW ABOUT HIM BUT I LUV MINE!! NEVER MISSED 3RD GEAR SINCE..:D

·
Registered
155 Posts
HOW MUCH DID THE DEALER INSTALL SET YOU BACK ON THE GEAR SET:confused:??
I paid 700.00 total for gears and install. I have seen others post that they have paid less but not sure where. For me it was worth the peace of mind.

·
Registered
138 Posts
08AlloyGT, I've only had my 3.73's in for a week,

but love them. I went up from 3.31 also. Expect about a 12% increase in RPM's at the same speed or a 12% reduction in speed at the same RPM's. Whereas you went 70 mph at 2000 rpm in 5th gear before, you'll only be doing about 63 mph at 2000 rpm with the new rearend gears. Remember, you'll need to adjust the speedo for the new gears also. Also, unless you want to go ahead and get a tuner, make sure whoever does the install can reprogram the computer for the new gears. I've got a tuner and tunes on the way from Brenspeed, so I'm just running the car (its not my DD) with the speedo unadjusted until it gets here. Check around at some trusted local speed shops for install prices. Two dealers in my area wanted $800 just for installation alone. I wasn't about to pay $1000 dollars (including the price of the gears) to have the gears swapped. Even my trusted mechanic for 10 years now, wanted $680 to do the swap. Some guys here recommended a speed shop about an hour and a half away from me that specializes in Mustangs, and they did the install for $375. It was worth the drive to save a minimum of $300, and I got to put the car on their dyno while I was there. Not to mention I got to meet some pretty nice folks with an understanding of my latest addiction. I also have the Hurst, and a K&N CAI. I probably would have opted to go with a different CAI if I'd found this forum before I bought the K&N. It does make a difference, but it seems to be general concensus among late model Mustang fans that some other CAI's are better.

Reactions: IronStomach

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome. Good info, thanks Oddball. Anyone know a good shop in the Socal/ San Diego area?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts