Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few weeks, I've had some trouble with my mach 460 system and over the last 6 months my HU has been slowly dying. I think i'm going to take this as a sign to upgrade the system even though i hate to spend the money on this instead of saving for a supercharger. Back to the point, I've been looking at HU's and i think i want to stay relatively cheap while still having a nice system. I'm looking at a Pioneer 5.8" touch and a Boss flip out 7" touch (some brand walmart sells). Now pioneer sells a high speed USB for Ipod/Iphones but i heard the user interface with it is still screwy. The Boss system also has a USB port on the faceplate, but i've heard its very tempermental and doesn't always work, perhaps because they don't sell their own usb cable designed to work with their system. Now both systems have Aux inputs via a 3.5 mm jack. My question is will the audio sound the same whether or not it comes through the high speed USB or the Aux input? I like the Aux input since i retain functionality of my Iphone, meaning i dont have to go through the HU to access music and i can just play playlists straight from the phone.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
The "High Speed" that Pioneer is referring to really doesnt mean anything. A couple of years back they used to have this black box that controlled the ipod and charged it via there special Din cable. People were complaining about how slow it was to go through the tracks and playlists and then thats when they got the idea to use a High Speed USB device to make it faster. Thats all.

Im an avid Pioneer fan and have been for years so I am biased on that. Now I also used to install for years and I will tell you that "you get what you pay for!" Those BOSS flip-outs are known for the shotty mechanical drive and motor for the screen coming in and out:2cents

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
I just stream my music from my ipod through my pioneers bluetooth setup.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wraitherlx, you really are the MM electrical guru lol, thanks for all your help.

If money wasn't a limiting factor, I'd go with the pioneer hands down. Until now, I had read good reviews of the Boss, but if its as poorly engineered as you say I wont consider it, afterall it's only $100 cheaper. Perhaps i'm going to have to downgrade to a single din pioneer unit... not as elegant as i was hoping for, but I want a quality HU

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
check on ebay, craigslist, and other places. you can find some good pioneers for cheap. how much are you trying to work with.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Pioneer FTW

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
you will probably get better sound through the usb connection, because the file doesnt get played through the ipod(or whatever mp3 player) sound prcessor and doesnt have the chance of clipping through the device, like some ipods do if the volume is maxed out.

and you can get a refurb double din touch screen pioneer for around 380$

this one is 400$ but im positive there is a cheaper one if you look around some more Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD In-Dash DVD Multimedia Receiver - $399.99 Shipped - J&R - GottaDeal.com

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
check on ebay, craigslist, and other places. you can find some good pioneers for cheap. how much are you trying to work with.
My dad said he would give me $500 towards the sound system as a Christmas present. I'm going to be spending some money next week but im not exactly sure how much... my guess is i'll have around $200 of my own that i can afford to spend. So that $700ish is going to include, the HU, Amps and new subs. I'm going to try and keep the stock speakers for now if i can. Obviously, its a tight budget now that I'm looking at it.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
700 isnt bad, you can get a decent system going for that much. I would suggest a good deck and then see if you can find some deals on here, other forums, craigslist, or ebay for some subs and amps.

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
$700 is a good amount. I had the option of direct vendor ordering when I worked for circuit city so my current setup is right around the $600 range (factory price, but you can find similar deals online). Haven't replaced the speakers yet but that'll come next.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts