what gears

Votes: 9 56.3%

Votes: 7 43.8%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my friend has a 1990 gt and he was maby thinking about getting gears either 3.73's or 4.10's which would you guys go with concidering its a DD.

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
Auto or manual?

4.10 for auto, 3.73 for manual.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its an auto..and if he got 4.10s whats the rpms at arround 70mph

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
I did a before and after test of my rpm's at 5 mile increments from 50 to 85 when I got my 3.73's in, but unfortunatly I don't have it on my laptop, and I won't be home till Thanksgiving. I might have a bookmark to a website where they have gear comparisons. I think it is also in a thread here. I'll look.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have 4.10s and I cruise around 2500-2800 rpms at 65-70mph. Then again, my speedo in the process of being fixed lol....crazy speedo needle syndrome. Never a constant read.

·
Registered
89 Posts
How accurate is this with a Fox Body? Either way regardless of what ever rpm you cruise at, 4.10s are awesome on the Autos.

EDIT: Oh what size tires are being ran?

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
"The following information is for a stock 2004 GT with stock size rims and tires (245/45/17) and the TR-3650 tranny."
I copy pasted that from the link I put in an earlier post.

I'm about to get off, but I'll leave you(or your friend) with this; if I were to be doing gears again, I would be getting 4.10's. I was afraid of getting crappy milage, but with the mods I have, the MPG's I get are the same (although sometimes better, sometimes worse) as stock, it varies depending on how you drive.

Don't fear the gear.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Speaking of MPG...you should see an increase in MPG for city and a slight decrease in highway.

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
I cruise at 2600 with traffic on the highway with 4.10's. My speedo doesn't work but I'm guessing that's 65-70mph.

·
The Big Spoon
3,214 Posts
My buddy put 373 in an auto and had the lock up in the trans removed. He said he should have gotten the 4.10. I was in it a few times, it was sweet but not a kick in the pants. (this was in a 90's fox vert)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well I have a 92 GT manual with vortech super charger and some other little mods and I have 4:10's in mine. But the car was a auto and I swapped it for a stick. I believe the tires are 245/55/17 but dont hold me to that. Should I switch gears?

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
Ya tell your friend to get an account on here, and tell him to get 4.10's.

:p

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
The one that will get you closest to your shifting rpm in 4th gear at the end of the 1/4 mile. If the 1/4 is not the goal, its your own opinion based on the balance between cruising rpm, gas mileage, and acceleration. I still have 2.73 in one of my foxes ;).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts