Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Well I plan on getting some 3.73 gears and T-Lok but the shops around my area want at least $575-700...is this a normal price?

I mean I read on here some of you guys/gals get it done for $200 and that sounds ALOT better then what I mentioned above.

I'm in Maryland so If anyone knows of a good place...send it my way!..pleeease!

I do not want to be over charged because I am a girl.

And the kit is from Stangmods.com

Thanks

·
Registered
461 Posts
Do it yourself and save some money and learn more about your car.

Only bonus to having an install done is most places will tune the car so the gauges work for you. You may also want to look into a shift kit while your modifying the drive train. While it won't give you any HP/TQ it will make your auto much nicer.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
God damn, the guy I went to did my 3.73s, 31 spline setup for $250. But it was more like $350 because he spent 3 hours cleaning out the mess in my diff cover. Thanks to dez racing.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i could talk to my friend, he does a great install and it'd be a lot cheaper than a shop, you'd have to drive to nova va though, about 15 minutes outside of manassas va.
Thanks Elias101:), but that's a lil too far for me.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Call up JPC, or Horsepower By Hermann.
Yeah, I called JPC..they want $550-650...did you go here? Just wondering,...I don't want no one getting over on me because I'm a girl.

Thanks for the Info. though.I will go look up Horsepower by Herman.:D

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do it yourself and save some money and learn more about your car.

Only bonus to having an install done is most places will tune the car so the gauges work for you. You may also want to look into a shift kit while your modifying the drive train. While it won't give you any HP/TQ it will make your auto much nicer.
So you think I can do this install myself? Everyone tells me not to even attempt to do it because of all the small parts and all.I do have a Haynes manual.I don't mind getting dirty!
I don't know,I guess I would feel safer If a Pro. did it..you know what I mean?

And what shift kit would you recommend? I am assuming that this kit will do the same thing as a tuner(make shifting firmer)?

It's a 3.8,auto,01 btw.

Thanks alot

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Yeah, I called JPC..they want $550-650...did you go here? Just wondering,...I don't want no one getting over on me because I'm a girl.

Thanks for the Info. though.I will go look up Horsepower by Herman.:D
Geez JPC is pretty pricey but I take my car to Hermann if I need something done that me and my buddies can't do.

Hermann's Shop # is 301-931-3673

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Geez JPC is pretty pricey but I take my car to Hermann if I need something done that me and my buddies can't do.

Hermann's Shop # is 301-931-3673
Thanks for the number :), well I got a hold of JPC and told them about some other places that are closer to me that are willing to do it for $250-300..and they told me the best they can do would be $350. Do you think this is a good price?

I want to take it to JPC for the plain fact that they specialize in mustangs.

One last question...I have the 3.73 gears and rear end bearing kit AND the T-lok...(brand new)is there ANYTHING else I will need? Or can I take it straight to install now?....today?! I'm excited..I can't wait :p

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Thanks for the number :), well I got a hold of JPC and told them about some other places that are closer to me that are willing to do it for $250-300..and they told me the best they can do would be $350. Do you think this is a good price?

I want to take it to JPC for the plain fact that they specialize in mustangs.

One last question...I have the 3.73 gears and rear end bearing kit AND the T-lok...(brand new)is there ANYTHING else I will need? Or can I take it straight to install now?....today?! I'm excited..I can't wait :p
That's not a bad price. And yes that should be all you need. Are you going to OC this weekend?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For the car show? I picked up a banner somewhere...I was thinking about it but work is strict.An employee came back from her break and she was high! Can you believe that?
Anyways the boss told her don't come back until you "fix" yourself up.Haha,really? I have to fill in for her dumb a$$ this weekend ..so it's a no.

I recently was at a car show in GB and Genevieve Chappell was their,she took some photos of my car and with my car...so that was awesome! The crazy part is that no one hardly knew who she was, do you know her?

She's suppose to be "spokesmodel" and goes to automotive events and what not.Maybe she'll be their.

Anyways if you are going have a good time for the both of us. Hopefully the weather is nice.

And thanks for the info. I can't wait to get these installed.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
For the car show? I picked up a banner somewhere...I was thinking about it but work is strict.An employee came back from her break and she was high! Can you believe that?
Anyways the boss told her don't come back until you "fix" yourself up.Haha,really? I have to fill in for her dumb a$$ this weekend ..so it's a no.

I recently was at a car show in GB and Genevieve Chappell was their,she took some photos of my car and with my car...so that was awesome! The crazy part is that no one hardly knew who she was, do you know her?

She's suppose to be "spokesmodel" and goes to automotive events and what not.Maybe she'll be their.

Anyways if you are going have a good time for the both of us. Hopefully the weather is nice.

And thanks for the info. I can't wait to get these installed.
That sucks lol, but no I've never heard of her. Hopefully everything goes smooth for you.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay..so some guys told me NOT to do the gears and T-lok. They said If my car is an auto in which it is...the gears will not shift right unless I get a tuner and something bad would happen.

And infact it will make my take offs slower...wth.

Can someone please tell me the GOODS and BADS of gears and t-lok install? Because now I am not sure I want to get them.

The main reason I want to get this kit is because: To make the car accelerate faster!
But if it's going to be slower then what is the use.I thought these two upgrades would benefit me more then getting headers and a tb.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
You gears with be fine, a tuner will just firm up the shifts.

Do you have a tuner? If not I would just wait until you got it. Also what made you get 3.73's instead of 4.10's?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You gears with be fine, a tuner will just firm up the shifts.

Do you have a tuner? If not I would just wait until you got it. Also what made you get 3.73's instead of 4.10's?
I had a SCT tuner from american muscle but I kept getting an "unlock ecm failed 1019" error and it would not let me flash the car.They sent a new one and the same thing happend.Went through a bunch of technical stuff and everything was fine. So they refunded my money. Now I have some cash and I want to get something that is worth getting.

I want to get the 3.73 gears because it said it is more gas friendly then the 4.10's.Is this true?What's the difference?

So, will the t-lok and gears make the car quicker? Like will I feel a difference?
And will the gears have problems shifting and cause premature transmission failure? That's what someone told me.

I don't want to mess my car up.

I'm just trying to understand everything.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I had a SCT tuner from american muscle but I kept getting an "unlock ecm failed 1019" error and it would not let me flash the car.They sent a new one and the same thing happend.Went through a bunch of technical stuff and everything was fine. So they refunded my money. Now I have some cash and I want to get something that is worth getting.

I want to get the 3.73 gears because it said it is more gas friendly then the 4.10's.Is this true?What's the difference?

So, will the t-lok and gears make the car quicker? Like will I feel a difference?
And will the gears have problems shifting and cause premature transmission failure? That's what someone told me.

I don't want to mess my car up.

I'm just trying to understand everything.
Oh ok, but with an auto you wouldn't see a difference in gas with 4.10's most auto have 4.10's. You will feel your car accelerate much quicker. Idk who told you about trans failure but they were wrong. I've never heard of that happening to anyone. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Oh ok, but with an auto you wouldn't see a difference in gas with 4.10's most auto have 4.10's. You will feel your car accelerate much quicker. Idk who told you about trans failure but they were wrong. I've never heard of that happening to anyone. You'll be fine.
Oh okay,maybe I'll get the 4'10's then:D....better for an automatic? Because it said 3.73's are better for a manual.Also the 4.10's can give you better gas mileage ..any truth to that?

And just so ya know...rarely do I drive over 50mph.It is my daily driver from and to work which is about 17 miles away at 45mph..stop and go.So city driving.

Would 4.10's better suite me then?

Here is a link that I was reading.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/215795-3-73-gears-automatic-2001-mustang.html

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Yeah get 4.10's. You may gain or lose 1-3 mpg if that. That's a first I've never heard if that maybe something was already wrong with his car. Get 4.10's and enjoy your car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts