Modded Mustang Forums banner

3.73's in, thank god!

7K views 154 replies 40 participants last post by  jivepepper 
#1 ·
i had a ring gear bolt come out the cover and trashed the rear end. i had 4.10's in it, those things were the worse things i could of ever done! the 3.73's feel a whole hell of a lot better! i went against my instinct and got talked into the 4.10's, i wont ever go against it again. the pinion gear was trashed unfortunatly, they were supposed to go into doc's mach. oh well, **** happens.

#7 ·
learn to drive? come on down and i will show you how to drive! dont talk **** to people that know what the **** they are doing. too much gear for the track. only an idiot would run a car thru the traps on nitrous bouncing rev limiter.

So for someone who is looking to buy gears tommorow, you would say go with the 3.73's?

I plan on full bolt-ons w/ cams. (VT stage II n/a) No FI. Should I go with 3.73's?
if you stay n/a, go with the 4.10. with a power adder, i suggest 3.73's.

#15 ·
will do along with pics and video. me and doc are going in the morning to swap out n2o tanks, and refill our bottles. if the weekend works out, me doc, workinprogress, mach boy, and a couple other friends will hit the track next saturday. i think a couple of us might go back on the 29th to let our girls race against each other. after that, off to the dyno, then tear down!

#17 ·
are they better in the street as well ?

#19 ·
I've ran 11.55 @ 118 with my 4.10's on a 150 shot.:D Does anyone think I would actually run faster with 3.73's? A big part of why my car performs is the launch.....something I'd be giving up with the 3.73's. So I totally disagree on swapping the gears........please discuss:yes

#21 ·
Look at JayC 's tires vs yours. Hoops and slicks vs stock rims and street tires. You're either all out drag or not and what makes you happy depends on what you expect overall.

I've ridden in Adam's car with 3.73's and got a HUGE adrenaline rush. We were on the interstate so after he quit banging on it I let go of the oh-**** handles and started watching his tach and shifts. For all-around daily driver stuff with power adders I don't thing the 3.73's can be beat. Maybe at the the track, I'm not sure, but all-around it seemed like a no-compromise gear in his car.

Well, hell, face it. If Adam thought he needed 4.10's he'd have bought them.

#23 ·
lack of traction? on slicks? its always been the same for my car no matter the gear. what height of tire are you running? i had to raise my rev limiter just to get theu the traps in 4th with 4.10's. it didnt matter if i was on slicks of street tires.

#25 ·
No way you will run slower with 4.10's if traction is equal. The lower gear will always 60' better. My tires are 26" and they are not slicks but DOT legal tires. My rev-limiter is also raised and at 118mph I trap 6200 and have been for 4 years now.

#24 ·
Timber, haven't seen you around in quite some time! hows it going?

#26 ·
i was shifting before i ever got to the tree, i run thru the traps at 6k-6100 consistently at 113mph. i run m/t e.t streets 26x10.5-15. to get thru the traps on nitrous i was having to raise my rev limiter and window switch settings to get me thru without bouncing limiter. one thing to take into consideraton is driveng styles too. doc could run pretty much to same times at a lower mph than i do.

#27 ·
Not to derail the thread but I'll probably be having my 3.73s installed tomorrow. I don't drag but I'll be taking my car FI for a DD sleeper. Do I need a 31 spline trac-lok and axles at all?

#28 ·
it all depends on power goals. for most people a set of upgraded axles will be more than enoung. just axle upgrade alone will set the diff set up good for 500rwhp. after that then i would recommend a 31 swap.

#31 ·
hmm, I may end up past 500rwhp though so the 31 spline total package is recommended correct? And your stang looks badass!

#33 ·
It wouldn't be a stang without some quirk lawl. My dad and I were looking at a Paxton Novi 2000 kit over at Jegs for me, plenty of potential in that centri for the money.

#35 ·
Would you happen to know much about Prochargers? Like if I get a 3 core intercooled kit with a P1SC, about how much can i get out of that Procharger? The Novi is not self contained and I don't like that lol.

#37 ·
the p1sc will make good boost and power toward the 18psi mark. it is still an entry level supercharger however, if you plan on wanting more than that then the d1sc upgrade will be wise. this is where a lot of people get into the arguement on paxton vs procharger. both are good superchargers, but compare apples to apples. when looking at power adders, remember to do homework and that it mostly personal preference.

Sweet, it could be the different trannies in the cars. JayC may have a TR3650 where you have a T-45. he could have a late build car. That would show the differnce in the Trap speeds and RPMs.
both still have a 1:1 4th

#36 ·
Sweet, it could be the different trannies in the cars. JayC may have a TR3650 where you have a T-45. he could have a late build car. That would show the differnce in the Trap speeds and RPMs.

#40 · (Edited)
I'll probably go with around 415-420rwhp and keep the engine stock. 10 psi. I've got just about a full bolt-on Mustang GT with a Sniper tune now. Took my car into Lujan Motorsports today to get the 3.73 and aluminum driveshaft installed. :eek: All I need is a mid-pipe and it'll be full bolt-on I think. Here is what parts I have currently:

K&N RAI
75mm throttle body (waiting for the gasket)
C&L ported plenum
Steeda tri-ax
3.73 gears
Aluminum driveshaft
Sniper tuned for 87 octane

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.