Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I finally bought a stang, given its a 3.8 5spd, i still like it and planned from the get-go to do somethin radical, my car has a **** ton of miles on it and odometer dont work, idk why, buti stumbled across a guy with a newer 3.8l v6 5spd that i wanna swap in cause it has 67K on it and would like to rebuild my motor or build it up for supercharger or turbo.

Long story short, will the newer motor swap into my harness and everything with no problems or do i need the computer and harness from the guy?

~Dingo

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
a 3.8 is a 3.8 im pretty sure. there are a couple smalle differences between them but nothing that isnt an easy fix (just different sensors). if youre going to tear it down and build it for boost why are you looking for a new motor though?

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
I had already looked into this swap for my '95. I even bought the "split port v6 engine" from a 2002 Mustang.
To make the swap as easy as possible, you should use the wiring harness and computer from the newer engine.
It is possible to use the original computer but it will need an SCT tune because the injectors are different and the engine basically will not run off the 94-98 tune.
There is a shop that can set you up with the correct programming for the swap but I won't say who it is (you can google them, they're pretty well known) because the asshole who runs the place told me it wasn't worth his time to tune my '95 Cobra.

In short, the engine will bolt right in but you'll have to have to arrange tuning for the complete swap. The newer v6 is also vastly over built to handle a good amount of supercharging boost. You'll want a 2002 or newer engine though as these were the best ones. There are a few 2004 v6 Mustang engines which actually displaced 3.9L so you might get lucky and find one of those.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
It depends what year the one he bought is. I assumed they're both new edges :dunno

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
I had already looked into this swap for my '95. I even bought the "split port v6 engine" from a 2002 Mustang.
To make the swap as easy as possible, you should use the wiring harness and computer from the newer engine.
It is possible to use the original computer but it will need an SCT tune because the injectors are different and the engine basically will not run off the 94-98 tune.
There is a shop that can set you up with the correct programming for the swap but I won't say who it is (you can google them, they're pretty well known) because the asshole who runs the place told me it wasn't worth his time to tune my '95 Cobra.

In short, the engine will bolt right in but you'll have to have to arrange tuning for the complete swap. The newer v6 is also vastly over built to handle a good amount of supercharging boost. You'll want a 2001+ or newer engine though as these were the best ones. There are a few 2004 v6 Mustang engines which actually displaced 3.9L so you might get lucky and find one of those.
pretty sure

·
Registered
669 Posts
Wrong, wrong! DO NOT swap out your computer and DO NOT swap out your wiring harness. Use your original ones. You need the new engine, and you will swap over some sensors and plugs. Cam Position Sensor, U want to use your original one. You need a fuel rail from an E150 or a windstar for it to work. Extend your fuel lines to reach and extend the injector plugs on your harness. If you use the newer engines injectors, you will need a tune and to swap out the pigtails on your injector plugs to fit the newer style. If you use your original injectors, you don't have to worry about that, but you ARE making out the injectors. Use your original headers, they bolt right up. You also need a cai or intake from the newer engine. You swap over a few other sensor plugs that I can't think of right now, so make sure you have a soldering gun to do it right!

I'm probably forgetting a few things, but that's basically it. It's really not as hard as I just made it sound, I promise! Lol

Edit: Also, you should use a 99 engine, since it saves you the trouble of dealing with the IMRC's that the 01+ have.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts

In short, the engine will bolt right in but you'll have to have to arrange tuning for the complete swap. The newer v6 is also vastly over built to handle a good amount of supercharging boost. You'll want a 2002 or newer engine though as these were the best ones. There are a few 2004 v6 Mustang engines which actually displaced 3.9L so you might get lucky and find one of those.
Yes, do not replace your wiring or ecu!

Whats done to the 95 btw ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah the motor is a 2001, I did hear about the sensors and not to switch harnesses or computers, why must I replace injectors, so they match the other harness? lost me there. heard i had to solder in to the old cam sensor?

The 95, nothin aftermarket but flowmaster 40s, has high mileage, feelin wore out, and I would like to build one or the other motors up to boost it. Dont have 900+ to rebuild, just 400 for the other motor i guess...

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yeah, U have to swap your old Cam Position Sensor over. The newer injectors are 21lb, the old ones are 14lb. If you're swapping without a tune, use the old ones and leave the pigtails on your harness alone. If you're going to get a tune and use the EV1 style injectors that come with the '01, you need to swap the pigtails on your wiring harness OR they sell adapters you can buy (Don't remember where, I just spliced in the newer pigtails.)

Some other things:

Your 95 has 2 temp sensors. One for the ecu, one for the dash. The '01 engine has 1. You either T it off to plug in both, or just use the computer one so your system works right. I spliced in the new connector to my wiring harness for now. I'll get the dash working sometime in the future, not too worried about it. Lol

When U pull apart the wiring loom to move the wires around, don't forget your coil pack moves to the drivers side. You can either cut the wire and splice it shorter, or just wrap the extra wire up when you loom it back together. Your injector wires need to be unwrapped and make sure they're long enough! Some people had to extend some of these. I didn't because when I spliced in the pigtails, I gave myself a couple extra inches of wire, so I didn't have this problem. If you're keeping your EGR, dont forget to bring those wires forward enough. If you spread the wires apart enough, you shouldn't really have to add any wire in.

Change you IAC connector.

If you're going to keep your MAF, then you're fine. I kept my old one. It works fine. Oh, also use your old oil pressure sensor itself. Easier than splicing in the plug into the harness. Lol, they use the same signal

That's all I can think of as far as the wiring....

Edit: Oh, and as far as it being an '01, ask somebody else about the IMRC's. That's one problem I avoided to make my swap a bit more simple.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Any suggestions on what i should do if i just rebuild my motor, or some mods when i do, maybe bore? Im just tryin to decide

Whould it be about the same trouble swapping a 01 4.6? obviously need the computer and harness right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts