2,will my car still be a good dailydriver with 3.90's
3,what will my rpms be at 70mph
3,what gears and gear size you guys recomend
4,is $387 a decent install price

thanks

·
Registered
387 Posts
i have 410s my rpms are 2300ish so yours are most likely similar, is the 387 with gears, bearings, shims

·
Registered
922 Posts
Get 4.10s for a dailey driver.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Well right now my stang is slow and I need some go,

1,are motive 3.90's known for gear whine
Not if installed correctly

2,will my car still be a good dailydriver with 3.90's
If daily drivers here have 3.73 and 4.10, then yes

3,what gears and gear size you guys recomend
it's been a WAR between two rivals here (no names give :D),search

4,is $387 a decent install price
i've heard an average of $250

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
That does sound high, I just did my own for the first time. I now know why they charge so much. I used to pay $230.00 for install. That seems like a good price. I'd go to a differential shop. They do it cheaper, ad better than most.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how much will 390's improve my 1/4,,,, .2 .3 .4 ???? thanks,one shop told me $700,just for the install

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
1. are motive 3.90's known for gear whine
most will say yea, but they shouldn't if installed correctly

2. will my car still be a good dailydriver with 3.90's
absolutely, I even prefer 4.10s

3. what will my rpms be at 70mph
with stock height tires, 2,215

4. what gears and gear size you guys recomend
as stated before, I recommend 4.10s

5. is $387 a decent install price
seems a little high test to me, I would look around a bit

Reactions: Muscletang

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
how much will 390's improve my 1/4,,,, .2 .3 .4 ???? thanks,one shop told me $700,just for the install
that place thinks a little to highly of themselves...

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
$700.00 for the install? If you pay that you're nuts. I'd say $300.00 tops. I did mine for $30.00 (the price of new bearings) Then again it's not something just anybody should try. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined. I got it doe right the 1st time with 0.08 or 8 hundredths lash.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
1, Yes
2, Yes
3, No idea
3, 8.8", 4.10's
4, Too much

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Any article on how to install them. Ive heard alot of people say to leave it to a professional. I also think that 3.73 is better for a daily driver

·
Registered
922 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Although I do agree that 4.10s are better... they are only better to an extent. If you have more then 400 rwhp (this could also vary dapending on weight or your car, tire type and or size) then 3.73s are def better then 4.10s. Gunny on here has 466 rwhp & 4.10s and I will agree it is a blast spinning tires through 3rd gear, but in the 1/4 I think he would run out of gear and have to shift into the slug of a 5th gear...

Plus, if you have turbos... 4.10s BLOW!!! It's not enough gear to allow the turbos to spool to full boost.

And, like many have said before, it's all personal opinion.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Although I do agree that 4.10s are better... they are only better to an extent. If you have more then 400 rwhp (this could also vary dapending on weight or your car, tire type and or size) then 3.73s are def better then 4.10s. Gunny on here has 466 rwhp & 4.10s and I will agree it is a blast spinning tires through 3rd gear, but in the 1/4 I think he would run out of gear and have to shift into the slug of a 5th gear...

Plus, if you have turbos... 4.10s BLOW!!! It's not enough gear to allow the turbos to spool to full boost.

And, like many have said before, it's all personal opinion.
right, because there are TONS of turboed 450whp daily driven stangs cruising around.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
right, because there are TONS of turboed 450whp daily driven stangs cruising around.
I never said there were. I was just informing readers that 3.73s can be MUCH better DD gears then 4.10s depending on your setup. I think having a blunt answer like "Wrong." you may be misleading someone who doesn't know all there is to know about power, gearing. suspension, tires, etc. You are right, there are very few cars like that because average joe doesn't have that kind of money. So, for most of us, 4.10s would be the best DD gears. I'm just keeping an open mind, not trying to start another pointless "which gears are better argument".:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts