Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wondering if any one has 3.90 gears? I'm thinking about getting them but the only brand I've seen so far is Motive and I haven't heard to many good things about them.

·
Ginger with No Soul
1,124 Posts
Buddy of mine has them on his '03 GT and he loves them!! I have 3.73s myself. When we raced last year, I swear those 3.90s were helping him beat me in the quarter mile, and I had more mods than him:eek:

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
why not look into 410s?

they are a very minor jump up from 390s but there are TONS of companys like ford racing that offer them at a good price

i have 410s with 315s and its a 2500 rpms at 75 mph

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
If your staying N/A go with 4.10's.. hell i know a local guy with an 05 that had 3.90's and jumped to 4.56's N/A.

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
i have 538s in my dodge ram lol

im not even kiding either

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have been running 3.90's for about 4 years now and they get up and go but they are so close to 4.10's I wish I would have went with them. There is so little difference between the two as far as rpms go on the highway, but the 4.10's will help accelerate faster.

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
I have been running 3.90's for about 4 years now and they get up and go but they are so close to 4.10's I wish I would have went with them. There is so little difference between the two as far as rpms go on the highway, but the 4.10's will help accelerate faster.
^ +1

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just put in 3.90's and theyre the prefect good gear ratio to me...although theyre motives and have a loud whine from 45-55mph then after that they quiet down. If you still wanna get around 20mpg's hwy then go w the 3.73 but if you dont care then go w the 4.10's but ur gonna b running outta gear on the 1/4 mile. But i wouldnt really suggest these gears

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright 4.10 it is. What do I all need to do for gears. Ill probably get them at AM. The gears them self and then a install kit and what else? My car has 38k miles on it. Does it throw your speedo off when you gear it?

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
I just put in 3.90's and theyre the prefect good gear ratio to me...although theyre motives and have a loud whine from 45-55mph then after that they quiet down. If you still wanna get around 20mpg's hwy then go w the 3.73 but if you dont care then go w the 4.10's but ur gonna b running outta gear on the 1/4 mile. But i wouldnt really suggest these gears
on long highway drives i get over 20mpg with 410s

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I've been in a couple trucks with motive gears, both seemed to whine more than they should, just a little too noticeable for me. Could have been the install,,,could've been the gears. I've literally heard them whine, but I haven't 'heard' too many that failed. That's just me though...

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Since you have a later T-3650 transmission I'd recommend 4.10s over 3.90s. Your gas mileage should be similar to mine with 3.73s. At 75 mph you'll only be running about 50 rpm more than I am.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have a set of Motive 3.90's in my car with no whine at all. Personally I like them, thought about 4.10's but I do a lot of highway driving so I stuck with the 3.90's.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I go the motive performance plus 3.90's and not a bit of whine in them. I only web with the plus series cause they were supposed to be a little stronger according to the website. I get 23.5 mpg on the highway driving between 70-80 mph on them

·
Registered
508 Posts
def go with 4.10s, motive gears are crap, put a set in the 6 cyl i had and they started breaking teeth in less than a month, now all ill buy is ford racing, have had 3.73s in the gt i have now for over a yr with no problem at all.

·
Registered
77 Posts
U need to buy the install kit from AM $75 and go to advanced or autozone and pick up some axle bearings and axle seals and that everything u need

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
that local guy with the 05 isn't stock either lol

I'll have 4:10s for sale here soon if you want to buy them

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can anyone give me an estimate of how much it would cost to ge them installed. I'm still in highschool and I don't want to try it and mess something up. I asked the guy who is installing my headers to do it but he said I'd probably have to go to ford because they have all the right tools.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts