Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be doing the PI swap shortly just waiting on uncle sam!!!:D

i have a set of 5.4 heads from a lightning with cams...my question is is it worth it to get a 3 angle valve job done on them i can get it done for $150
if so what are the gains from doing this......

·
Registered
856 Posts
get a valve job and get them ported while you're at it. i wouldn't know too much about that kind of stuff. PM Boomer if he's still around here. he'll know a lot more

·
Registered
187 Posts
you dont really want an "angle" more of a radius on it. an angle would decrease flow. but id look at a 5 point if your gettin anything done. i

54 Posts
Would the 5 point be similar to "tulliping" the valves? I built a 3.5 liter alluminum V8 for a small british sports car project a while back. We did some minor porting, an agressive cam, milled a fair amount off for a bump in compression, and a 3 angle valve job. Also ran double valve springs. The machinist talked about going a step further and "tulliping" the valves, which sounds similar to what a 5 point might have been. This would have been a lot more money, and since the car weighed roughly 2100 lbs, we were fine with hp in the 250-275 range.

Dunno if any of this rambling helps.......

·
Registered
187 Posts
yea its more of a racing thing. not a neccessery(sp?) thing,but if your going for max na power,it helps. its a little more work on the seat,adding different layerd cuts making the inside more "rounded" apose to triangular with a 3 angle. you wont feel any difference but it may flow .5-5% better depending on how deep you go,and the skills of your machinist. would probably cost maybe 20-30$ more depending on the shop. imo money well spent.

tuliping is bad lol,thats when the seat is starting to flare out kinda like )( where a normal seat would be / \ and the valve face begins rolling into the cylinder,kinda closing it up lik a tulip. i

·
Registered
187 Posts
If your not getting your heads done then yes it wouldnt make any sense to have it done. If your heads are being built then its more than worth it. But i would definatly move to a bigger set of valves.
A 3 angle is worthless imo unless your doing an import.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts