1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Im finally up to purchasing a converter now for my 5r55s. Next thing on the
list to do. Im wondering what the deal is who have you been using ptc, pi,
tci ete. Good stories bad? Install? Suggestions?. I see every mustang vendor, including all the big tuners has tci converters and I also here alot of people hating on them, so idk what to think there. Looking for a 3000 stall. Thanks
for any input. My car only makes 320 to the wheels.

·
Registered
874 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I ran a 3500 tci in my TA with bolt-ons and it worked ok. But I would go with a vigilante or yank anyday of the week. Oh and I'd go 3500 if I was you but that's your call. Good luck.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
A TCI convertor may work for your power levels, but why risk it. A TCI convertor is basically a reworked stock convertor. I've been through a few (not with this car) and I would never buy one again.

I currently have a PI 3000. It's a triple disc unit and it is doing great. Streetability is good. It tends to be a little harsh sometimes at lower power levels when it locks and unlocks. Not really harsh, but sometimes it feels like an extra gear shift. But you got to give a little to get a little. I love it when you mash the go pedal and the RPM's just jump up into the power band. I couldn't imagine driving a performance car with an automatic without a decent stall convertor. I would recommend a PI convertor to anyone. Yank is also another great product. They are probably about twice as much money as the TCI unit, but I think it's money well spent.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Idk about the ford units but the gm ones from tci are new. Just not as high of quality that you'd find in a vig or yank.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
Idk about the ford units but the gm ones from tci are new. Just not as high of quality that you'd find in a vig or yank.
The Ford ones are new too but it is the stock housing and internals that are reworked, not rebuilt.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Oh wow the gm units are all new as the 3500 that i had was a 10" not the 12" that they come with from the factory. Plus i know the company that builds for them and they actualy offer a higher line of convertors that work quite a bit better.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
i got a dirtydog performance 10" 3800 stall in my 01 gt and its not that serious and I have been dd'n it. unless you get on the gas you will forget its their after awhile, also at highway speeds its normal.

·
Open Hood-Insert Money
255 Posts
i got a dirtydog performance 10" 3800 stall in my 01 gt and its not that serious and I have been dd'n it. unless you get on the gas you will forget its their after awhile, also at highway speeds its normal.
At my power level I already get too much RPM climb at lower RPM...wouldnt that make it worse?

·
Open Hood-Insert Money
255 Posts
what are you at rpm wise dd'n/highway? I mean the stall will "stall" where you get it rated for its not that serious as people say with one
I have 373's and 26" tall tires.....its around 3 grand at FWY speeds and I cruise it at around 65/75 mph.
It just seems like any amount of throttle pressure makes more RPM than I would expect (excess noise) and quickly smokes the tires
(335/30's) while trying not too... (excessive attention) I never know if it's going to slip the converter or the tires.
I think I've created a monster. :sorry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts