Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
That 04Sixxer Guy
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of picking up a Fox in the near future, but being such an old car I would want to do an entire engine rebuild before driving it a lot.

I've looked at rebuild kits on Summit.com, the brand is Sealed Power. What are yall's thoughts on these kits? Also if you have any other suggestions on rebuild kits i'd be happy to hear them.

I want it to be a stock rebuild sticking with hypereutectic pistons, not forged. I may throw a mild cam in there while i'm at it so i'm open to opinions on this as well. The car will stay N/A but maybe with a small shot of nitrous too.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
85-92 came stock with forged pistons, not sure why you wouldnt want to stick with forged. What ever plans you THINK you have in mind for your fox, your plans may change in the future, so id spend the extra money and build it stronger ....... just in case.

·
That 04Sixxer Guy
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
85-92 came stock with forged pistons, not sure why you wouldnt want to stick with forged. What ever plans you THINK you have in mind for your fox, your plans may change in the future, so id spend the extra money and build it stronger ....... just in case.
Not the '93?

I didn't know the 5.0 had forged pistons out of the factory, I thought they were hyper coated. I wouldn't want to downgrade so i'll spend the extra coin to get forged.

I'm very new to these motors :lol

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I have rebuilt several 87-92 HO motors over the years. Most can get by with just a fresh set of rings & bearings. My son's 90 had 166,000 miles on it & the cylinders were perfect, the crank only needed to be polished, so fresh rings & bearings were put in, That was 7 years & 60,000 miles ago, still running strong. It ran a 7.33 on a 175 shot just this past summer!

·
That 04Sixxer Guy
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have rebuilt several 87-92 HO motors over the years. Most can get by with just a fresh set of rings & bearings. My son's 90 had 166,000 miles on it & the cylinders were perfect, the crank only needed to be polished, so fresh rings & bearings were put in, That was 7 years & 60,000 miles ago, still running strong. It ran a 7.33 on a 175 shot just this past summer!
This is good to hear. I'll tear the motor down and check the condition of everything before ordering parts. Hopefully new rings and bearings are all i'm gonna need!

·
Registered
11,200 Posts

·
That 04Sixxer Guy
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wonder why they did that.

Any suggestions on a cam guys? Mild N/A with nitrous somewhere down the road.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
The last mild 5.0 I built had a stock short block, Comp XE266HR cam, out of the box Trick Flow TW 170's. That thing ran outstanding. Lots of power with total drivabuility!

·
That 04Sixxer Guy
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The last mild 5.0 I built had a stock short block, Comp XE266HR cam, out of the box Trick Flow TW 170's. That thing ran outstanding. Lots of power with total drivabuility!
Thanks man, time for me to read up.

Y'all are much more helpful than the v6 section :lol

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
If it has decently low miles and there's no noise or smoke coming out of it... I'd leave it.

Mines factory from 92 and it never smokes or makes any noises; it has 65k on the bottom end. Did a heads/cam/intake package 2.5 years ago. Runs strong as ever :)

Now I gotta go check my car and see what kinda pistons are in this thing... :lol How do you check if it's a 92.5 or 92?

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Thinking of picking up a Fox in the near future, but being such an old car I would want to do an entire engine rebuild before driving it a lot.

I've looked at rebuild kits on Summit.com, the brand is Sealed Power. What are yall's thoughts on these kits? Also if you have any other suggestions on rebuild kits i'd be happy to hear them.

I want it to be a stock rebuild sticking with hypereutectic pistons, not forged. I may throw a mild cam in there while i'm at it so i'm open to opinions on this as well. The car will stay N/A but maybe with a small shot of nitrous too.

Thanks,
Chris
Dont under estimate the age of these cars VS the liability the 302 is truley an iconic motor for reliability. These 302 motors are much different than our 2V they can handle around 500RWHP on the stock internals, and take up to a 200 Shot of nitrous stock.the real weak link is the block itslef. After putting a fresh motor in my 88 to get it going im still trying to decidewhether to build a boss block or do the Coyote swap.Have you already purchased the car?

·
That 04Sixxer Guy
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dont under estimate the age of these cars VS the liability the 302 is truley an iconic motor for reliability. These 302 motors are much different than our 2V they can handle around 500RWHP on the stock internals, and take up to a 200 Shot of nitrous stock.the real weak link is the block itslef. After putting a fresh motor in my 88 to get it going im still trying to decidewhether to build a boss block or do the Coyote swap.Have you already purchased the car?
The reason i'm hell bent on rebuilding it is because i'm selling my '04. I want the reliability to match my current car. Even if the motor is okay I want the piece of mind of having brand new gaskets, seals, bearings, and rings.

Going to test drive a black on black '91 tomorrow :cool:

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
Well good luck I hope you find a nice car.

Keep in mind these things are 20+ years old so they may be reliable from a mechanical standpoint but be prepared to fiddle with sensors and other crap just due to age

1 - 16 of 16 Posts