Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So American muscle has the Sr performance that includes the axle bearings and bolts for 223. The the mosers with just the axles for 275. Which would you go with?

·
Registered
718 Posts
+1 get Moser or you could spend a little more and get strange axles but I guess there the same thing.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
The Moser axles also come with the lug studs already pressed in, so if you're installing them yourself, that will save you some money if you don't have a press.

·
Dirt Dives Me Crazy
1,197 Posts
The Moser axles also come with the lug studs already pressed in, so if you're installing them yourself, that will save you some money if you don't have a press.
Are the studs that come with the mosers the same length as my stock 28 spline axle studs or are they longer?

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I've ran Dutchman, Strange, Moser.... Not all 31 spline axles are created equal..... or even close to equal for that matter. A couple important things you need to know (I'm going to make this quick so it wont be 5 pages lone)

There is an engineering difference between a drag car axles and a street car axle. You can buy 2 different sets of 35 spline axles and the drag axle with break on the street and the street axle will break on the strip. This is because street car axles are made so that they can tolerate both loading and unloading forces (twisting in both directions forward and reverse). This is because on the street when taking turns axles are subject to both forces. Drag car axles will work harden and break in no time if subjected to that sot of load.

So we know drag car axles and street car axles are made differently. Now let talk about forged axles for the street. Most forged street car axles are 1541 carbon steel.... MOSER, STRANGE, DUTCHMAN.... they're all 1541H. The difference between all of them is the quality of the material used and how they're hardened. The other difference is are they tapered or not. One thing that some axle companies do is they taper the center section of the axle on purpose. They do this ensure the twisting forces on the axle occur over a specific section of the axle. The machine work is another key part... what kind of radius is used on the drive face of the axle... IE how big the fillet is.

Now that I've said all of that all I want anyone to take away here is that AXLES ARE NOT ALL CREATED EQUAL.

In my own personal experience I would never buy another Stange Axle. They're garbage IMO. I hate the way they're designed and would never buy another set after breaking 2 of them before. Dutchman axles is my #1 choice for durable axles. If I wanted to buy the best axles I could get for a street car it would be a 35 Spline set of Dutchman axles again. If I wanted a good all around set of Forged axles that are a good upgrade over stock and wont break the bank then I would buy Moser axles. I've bought several sets of Moser axles and have never had an issue with quality control or strength of the axle. My 67 Mustang has 31 Spline Moser Axles with a detroit locker setup with a 600hp 408W stroker motor. I've beaten then bad and never had any issues at all..... After breaking 2 stock axles.

I personally wouldnt buy a knock off axle. I dont consider Moser to be the best out there but I do consider them to be one of the better of the off shelf forged axles. For me the choice is Moser or Dutchman. I've heard good things about Yukon axles but I've never ran any so I cant comment on them. I have seen G2 axles and they LOOKED OK but no idea how they perform. I wouldn't touch a US Alloy axle or SR performance.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Ran 31 spline Mosers with no issues in my GT. Will do Moser again for the Mach when the time comes. The studs are the same length as your stock 28 spline axles.

Reactions: monkeygrits

·
Dirt Dives Me Crazy
1,197 Posts
Ran 31 spline Mosers with no issues in my GT. Will do Moser again for the Mach when the time comes. The studs are the same length as your stock 28 spline axles.
Sweet. So I can use my stock lugs. Will drag wheels like prostars work with them without getting longer studs? I was looking at a set of 15x9 weld RTS wheels.

·
The Dude Abides
1,471 Posts
Moser.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Yes. Ran 15x8 Prostars and stock studs work with the long shank lug nuts the Welds come with.

Reactions: monkeygrits

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Sweet. So I can use my stock lugs. Will drag wheels like prostars work with them without getting longer studs? I was looking at a set of 15x9 weld RTS wheels.
On pro stars you can not use stock lugs, they need a shank style lug nut. Also if you where thinking about strange axles the only down side is they use specific studs.

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Yes. Ran 15x8 Prostars and stock lug nuts work with the long shank lug nuts the Welds come with.
I think you mean stock studs because stuck lugs won't work with pro stars

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

I've ran Dutchman, Strange, Moser.... Not all 31 spline axles are created equal..... or even close to equal for that matter. A couple important things you need to know (I'm going to make this quick so it wont be 5 pages lone)

There is an engineering difference between a drag car axles and a street car axle. You can buy 2 different sets of 35 spline axles and the drag axle with break on the street and the street axle will break on the strip. This is because street car axles are made so that they can tolerate both loading and unloading forces (twisting in both directions forward and reverse). This is because on the street when taking turns axles are subject to both forces. Drag car axles will work harden and break in no time if subjected to that sot of load.

So we know drag car axles and street car axles are made differently. Now let talk about forged axles for the street. Most forged street car axles are 1541 carbon steel.... MOSER, STRANGE, DUTCHMAN.... they're all 1541H. The difference between all of them is the quality of the material used and how they're hardened. The other difference is are they tapered or not. One thing that some axle companies do is they taper the center section of the axle on purpose. They do this ensure the twisting forces on the axle occur over a specific section of the axle. The machine work is another key part... what kind of radius is used on the drive face of the axle... IE how big the fillet is.

Now that I've said all of that all I want anyone to take away here is that AXLES ARE NOT ALL CREATED EQUAL.

In my own personal experience I would never buy another Stange Axle. They're garbage IMO. I hate the way they're designed and would never buy another set after breaking 2 of them before. Dutchman axles is my #1 choice for durable axles. If I wanted to buy the best axles I could get for a street car it would be a 35 Spline set of Dutchman axles again. If I wanted a good all around set of Forged axles that are a good upgrade over stock and wont break the bank then I would buy Moser axles. I've bought several sets of Moser axles and have never had an issue with quality control or strength of the axle. My 67 Mustang has 31 Spline Moser Axles with a detroit locker setup with a 600hp 408W stroker motor. I've beaten then bad and never had any issues at all..... After breaking 2 stock axles.

I personally wouldnt buy a knock off axle. I dont consider Moser to be the best out there but I do consider them to be one of the better of the off shelf forged axles. For me the choice is Moser or Dutchman. I've heard good things about Yukon axles but I've never ran any so I cant comment on them. I have seen G2 axles and they LOOKED OK but no idea how they perform. I wouldn't touch a US Alloy axle or SR performance.
I'm running strange axles I got from a buddy of mine that where on his car making alot more than 600 hp with high rpm launches. He only changed them out because he went with Mark Williams rear end.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
On pro stars you can not use stock lugs, they need a shank style lug nut. Also if you where thinking about strange axles the only down side is they use specific studs.

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

I think you mean stock studs because stuck lugs won't work with pro stars

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

I'm running strange axles I got from a buddy of mine that where on his car making alot more than 600 hp with high rpm launches. He only changed them out because he went with Mark Williams rear end.

I broke a NEW strange Axle at 600 hp coming off the trans brake at 5500 RPM. It actually broke on the gear change. The car 60' 1.38 that pass. Would have been a great run.

I broke the Strange warranty replacement that spring. Same motor setup but leaving on the bottle. Made 5 passes that day and went as fast as 9.72 with a 1.34' 60 foot time. On the 6th pass the passenger side axle broke in 3 pieces and destroyed the Detroit locker.

That was all about 8 years ago. Since then I've made 200+ passes the Dutchman in one car and prob 200 passes on the Mosers in the GT. A ton of street miles too.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nitmare...you sound like an engineer?

So I am going to go with the moser, but they do not include wheel studs...unless I am missing something. This is right from am's site...

"Application. This pair of Moser Engineering 31 Spline Axles are designed for the 1999-2004 GT, Bullitt and Mach 1 Mustangs. Wheel studs are not included"

The studs were actually going to be my next question, because I wanted to get a set of dr's on different wheels...but I still wanted to use my current wheels.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Why not purchase the axles directly from Moser and get exactly what you're looking for? I just ordered axles for a 12-bolt I narrowed a couple of months ago, and they were absolutely excellent to work with.

I wouldn't consider Strange simply due to the customer service experience I've had with them.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
"Application. This pair of Moser Engineering 31 Spline Axles are designed for the 1999-2004 GT, Bullitt and Mach 1 Mustangs. Wheel studs are not included"
This must be a new thing as mine came with studs years ago, and a few months ago when I looked at them they still came with studs. Even when you google the axles the AM link that comes up says w/Studs. They must have recently changed to no studs.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts

So I am going to go with the moser, but they do not include wheel studs...unless I am missing something. This is right from am's site...

The studs were actually going to be my next question, because I wanted to get a set of dr's on different wheels...but I still wanted to use my current wheels.

I'm an electrical engineer lol. I dabble alot in the mechanical world though between work my amateur machine shop at home. My machine shop has actually gotten worth being proud of as of late! I just finished restoring my 2nd lathe which turned out beautiful. I think I love it more than my car is right now lol. All of my equipment is now servo driven with digital read outs one lathe is CNC this month. We're about to buy a new to us home and I'm looking at a house built in 50s that has a 12k Sqft lot. My vision is to have a 1200sqft shop and separate smaller building like 20×20 that will contain my home machine shop. Just as long as the house is single story and no more than 1500 aqfr my wife will be happy and I can continue to build my dreams one old worn out machine at a time lol. The last lathe took 6 months to fully restore.

Speaking of mechanical and machining. I ground the crank for my next motor today. What an awesome thing to be able to grind a crankshaft at home lol.

Sorry I'm rambling and excited with life. Regarding axles I always run ARP hardware in my Axles and I prefer the full length studs. You have to run open lug nuts but it makes you NHRA LEGAL and I think no center caps and full length studs gives the car a legit look. Nothing says you mean business like forged axles and open lugs. Those details separate the boys from the men. I don't know what DR your looking at but I love the Nitro 555R on my GT. They last 3 times longer than my MT's ever did and with proper burn out and setup they run just as fast. I have lots if weight transfer mods and the 555R last a fully summer on my car. Love em. I run them at 17psi and warm them up in 2nd gear. Usually one big burn out then dry hope them and they hook hard time snd time again.. consistent mid 1.40s

·
Registered
736 Posts
Why not purchase the axles directly from Moser and get exactly what you're looking for? I just ordered axles for a 12-bolt I narrowed a couple of months ago, and they were absolutely excellent to work with.

I wouldn't consider Strange simply due to the customer service experience I've had with them.
I'll mirror what Tang's saying here. If you're after something specific why not right? I'd shoot for them as well. I've heard +/- regarding the comments about Strange' CS too.

Alex

·
Registered
6,973 Posts

I'm an electrical engineer lol. I dabble alot in the mechanical world though between work my amateur machine shop at home. My machine shop has actually gotten worth being proud of as of late! I just finished restoring my 2nd lathe which turned out beautiful. I think I love it more than my car is right now lol. All of my equipment is now servo driven with digital read outs one lathe is CNC this month. We're about to buy a new to us home and I'm looking at a house built in 50s that has a 12k Sqft lot. My vision is to have a 1200sqft shop and separate smaller building like 20×20 that will contain my home machine shop. Just as long as the house is single story and no more than 1500 aqfr my wife will be happy and I can continue to build my dreams one old worn out machine at a time lol. The last lathe took 6 months to fully restore.

Speaking of mechanical and machining. I ground the crank for my next motor today. What an awesome thing to be able to grind a crankshaft at home lol.

Sorry I'm rambling and excited with life. Regarding axles I always run ARP hardware in my Axles and I prefer the full length studs. You have to run open lug nuts but it makes you NHRA LEGAL and I think no center caps and full length studs gives the car a legit look. Nothing says you mean business like forged axles and open lugs. Those details separate the boys from the men. I don't know what DR your looking at but I love the Nitro 555R on my GT. They last 3 times longer than my MT's ever did and with proper burn out and setup they run just as fast. I have lots if weight transfer mods and the 555R last a fully summer on my car. Love em. I run them at 17psi and warm them up in 2nd gear. Usually one big burn out then dry hope them and they hook hard time snd time again.. consistent mid 1.40s
Thats awesome! Shop will almost be as big as the house. 1500sqft home is small but i guess if you have a 1200sqft shop you have plenty of room for storage and toys. I dont think my girlfriend and future wife would be too happy with 1500sqft. Lol

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Lol our first home was 1500sqft single story and we loved it. Our current home we plan to rent is 2600sqft, 2,story with a 3.5 car garage. It's huge.. and we don't use most of it lol. If there's one thing I've learned is that bigger doesn't always mean better. I hated our king size bed. I like the queen better it's nice being close to my wife..we liked our old house better with its 1 living room and huge back yard. Family is closer together and more room to enjoy the things that matter.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts