Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to order the axle conversion kit tonight. Do you guys think thats why i broke all 4 of my spider gears and only launching at 3k rpm on MT street radials? 17 psi air, Guy told me my axles flexed too much and it made the mesh of the gears too big and they popped out and broke? Makes sense, just dont want to blow 500 if its not the problem.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Nope, I went through 2 sets of spiders after going with 31 spline Mosers. I quit playing around and installed a Truetrac. :cool:

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn,so should i just stay 28 spline??

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
do some research on drag radials on stick car's before you spend your money, :2cents. theirs a reason you don't see them often (on the few) regular (ie. everyweek end) stick guy's cars at the track.

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah i heard there harder on the car, my dad figured theyd give more and be easier on the rear but guess not.

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just want it to stay together on the street, should be fine, the track was bitting crazy hard, felt like the headunit was gonna fall out of the dash. Dont want to run no slicks on the street lol. will go to the track for times maybe a few times this summer but not too much.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
ever try seeing if a buddy had some mounted slick's that you could borrow for the day?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Yeah i heard there harder on the car, my dad figured theyd give more and be easier on the rear but guess not.
they give some, but being a radial, they snap back into shape violently & there goes another rear end (on a stick car, usually when shifting)

·
Old timer
9,296 Posts
they give some, but being a radial, they snap back into shape violently & there goes another rear end (on a stick car, usually when shifting)
Really? I am fixing to drop some cash on 31 splines also, but not if I am going to bust them too.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
The 31 splines will help alot but I would suggest a better differential like jayc said. I too am running the Detroit trutrac and it in on tough SOB!

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dang, yeah this sucks. I guess I will get a used set of wrinkle wall slicks for the track and run the drag radials on the street, should be fine on the street dont you think, the track just bites so hard

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is the Detroit tru trac like the Detroit locker? Will it hop when i go around turns with it? Or is it a posi still

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
the et street should be fine on the street. just won't last real long.

i think i may try the bfg drag radial. should hook pretty well (at least a 1.7) and be fine on the street as its not real real aggressive...and should last decently. longer than et streets anyway

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya i only drive the car on the weekends so f tire wear!

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Really? I am fixing to drop some cash on 31 splines also, but not if I am going to bust them too.
nothing wrong with going 31 spline, for that matter, nothing wrong with Fords trac-loc IMO. just can't run drag radials on a stick car with much luck. try some ET streets/etc.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Dang, yeah this sucks. I guess I will get a used set of wrinkle wall slicks for the track and run the drag radials on the street, should be fine on the street dont you think, the track just bites so hard
you'll be fine on the street with D/R's

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
The trutrac will not hop around corners like the eaton posi. You will be fine with drag radials on the street

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ill order some 28 inch slicks for this summer sometime closer to summer. Till then i guess im good!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
just like jayc said, i have also broken 2 sets of spider gears in my 31 spline setup and i will be ordering a detroit truetrac within the next 2 weeks for my auto car.

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Whats the chances of breaking the truetrac with 450 rwhp if i get slicks and only launch at 3000, id hope slim to none, i launced at 3000 and broke my spiders with stock setup. People have slicks launching at 6k on the rev limiter lol. Makes me mad. Is the tru trac install hard?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts