Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience or opinions on these? Seems from what I've read people either love them or hate them. AM's Black Friday sale is pretty crummy, but I can get these for a good price with my forum discount.

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
I don't have Superiors... I bought US Alloys because the price was lower..... wish I had bought Strange or Moser. The shaft of the US Alloys are not a uniform diameter from wheel flange to C-clip.... they are uniform on Strange and Moser which means you can cut them down and re-spline them if you ever want to narrow your rear. Strength is the same, but they'll only fit the stock width rear.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to go ahead and get Mosers. I've learned my lesson on buying parts I'm on the fence with already. I have a Cobra LSD with carbon fiber clutches on the way. A guy on corral sells em' for 200 bucks shipped.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
I bought a 31 spline carrier for $75 shipped.... much better buy in my opinion if you can wait and hunt for one. I'd rather have 31 spline than a better clutched Cobra Carrier that's still 28 spline. I'd rebuild the factory 28 spline you have for $100 before I paid $200 to the dude on corral... or just wait it out for a cheap 31 spline and upgrade for real.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cobra LSD is 31 spline and its brand new. They go for around $250 everywhere I've looked.

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Ahhhhh, didn't know they were 31 spline. If you wait and hunt on ebay you'll find one for $75 like I did. If you want it today pay the extra money... otherwise wait and hunt.

FWIW mine was a 2012 take-out..... so technically used but maybe for five miles.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
yeah 31 spline axels only work with 31 spline lsd/t-locks, a 28 spline lsd cannot work with 31 spline axels
Ummmmm.... yeah. Clear on that. Wasn't familiar that the Termi came with 31 spline is what I said.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Ummmmm.... yeah. Clear on that. Wasn't familiar that the Termi came with 31 spline is what I said.
gotcha, just lending info for any unknowing, but yes they do, Mine is the factory termi/03/04 cobra lsd, just with carbon clutches, holding up well, still no one wheel peel yet lol, a good 20-30 burnouts/passes on em too.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did some more reading on other forums, and I've been convinced to give the Superior axles a try. Seems there are more people having good luck/swear by them than not. The same can be said for Moser and Strange. I picked them up for $187 after the Black Friday price and forum discount. I feel pretty comfortable with the purchase. 90% of my driving is done on the street, the car is still mostly stock, and the axles come with a 5 year warranty. I'll let you guys know how they look and fit when I get them. Looking forward to some hard launches after my gear install!

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Great price.... definitely worth a shot.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
i use the alloys as well which were the cheapest i could find...10 year warranty and they have been holding up great with a TON of passes on the car...

also had them in my old 94 with no problems.

i think you'll be fine with superiors, lots of jeep guys use them.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Thread Jack! - I reused my old axles when doing 3.73 gears a couple weeks ago. Installer said my axles had 'light' grooves in them but ok, and we decided to reuse them.

How much of a PITA is it to swap in some 'new' axles? (these would be the stock 28 spline ones) - and only for peace of mind. I see the 'superior' 28 splines are $100'ish from AM.

I would need the ABS tone ring pressed on correct? - otherwise you just pop open the different, and free the axles from the diff/C clip right?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, you'd push the axle in and pull the c clips out for both sides. I'm not sure about the tone rings yet. I couldn't find any information on that. I'm just gonna wait until they get here and figure that part out. There is a customer pic on AM and it looks like the rings were reused.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Cool, ya that's what I was thinking. Kinda regret not upgrading the diff/axles to 31 spline since I was already in there.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
they have to be reused. they press off and then you must press them on the new axles. careful as they are weak pot metal and will break if not pressed on evenly.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
they have to be reused. they press off and then you must press them on the new axles. careful as they are weak pot metal and will break if not pressed on evenly.
Orrrrrrrrrrr, you can toss those bad boys in the garbage along with the stock axles and say "**** ABS".

1 - 20 of 41 Posts