Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of a sudden, my 331 started missing today. I got home and noticed that the boot was torn off the #4 plug, but the lead was still attached. It just didn't have insulation. I'm thinking that's my smoking gun along with the fact that #1 was loose enough on the plug that I was pretty sure it wasn't make a connection. (Grandaddy always said check the small stuff first). I am definitely going to replace the wires, and also the cap, rotor, and plugs while I'm at it here. have a concern and some questions. First, the questions:

I have Victor, Jr. heads. Any suggestions on "hotter" plugs, or do you guys feel I could make more power by putting more timing in it and dropping down a notch?

Any suggestions for wires? Some will say they're all the same. I'm thinking that I will order a set of 9MM racing wires off eBay. Or just get in the Zone if they have something that looks decent.

Why the hell would someone pay over $250 for wires? Are these really that good? Anybody used them??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nology-Hotwires-for-Ford-Mustang-V8_W0QQitemZ4583763839QQcategoryZ107062QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I mean, C'MON!!

Here is the concern:
Car's been running a little rough, especially when it's cold. But now it's doing it a little more, like when it's under a load at 1,500 rpms in 3rd or 1,000 in 2nd - you know, not quite lugging but not on the cam yet, either. Seems like it's firing down in the header, not backfiring or booming out the tailpipe, but spitting down into the header.
Best case scenario, it's just the cam making the car fussy.
Worst case, I have a exhaust valve that is allowing some blow-by.

Any thoughts?? THX, ladies!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The miss is gone! I did the "top end tune up" with new cap, rotor, wires and plugs, and man did it make a difference (no sh!t, sherlock!)

But seriously, it had to add like 450 rwhp or something. schwing!

The dead miss is gone, and my little firing down in the header problem has been lessened, but is still there. I'm worried about a burnt valve.

Any thoughts, gurus? Share the nollij!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
groundpounder said:
But seriously, it had to add like 450 rwhp or something. schwing!
Only if they came with stickers... :lmao j/k

seriously though, if it has a burnt valve it would still run rough. Have you done a compression test? That would be what I would try next. Also, make sure it isn't an exhaust leak somewhere or a thermactor problem, if it's still hooked up.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
compression test this weekend. Only does this intermittently, and the car is consistently strong :D so a burnt valve hopefully is not going to be my problem. If I let out of the throttle and ease it for a few seconds or if I go into it harder, it goes away and doesn't come back.

The thermactor appears to be loose and it won't stay in place. I didn't think that could cause some of the problems I am having. Hmmmmmmm
:crazy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts