Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here..first mustang, although I have some help locally.

looking for some help from those who know more than me. I have been around motors an other mustangs for years ..and I can get myself around an engine bay decently..but this is my first mustang and I am putting this thing together faster than I can learn.

so..my car: 88 GT hatch. t-5, with 3.73 gears.

so far: engine builder is putting together my DSS forged 331 balanced stroker bottom end. 10.5:1 compression. main girdle.

On the top, I already found some used AFR 165 heads and 1.6 rockers locally..box stock. I have an unported gt40 (well..2001 explorer) intake, that will haev some work done to the lower. I assume I will need something larger, but that might be 6 months down the road. (off topic, but edelbrock rpm vs track heat vs holley systemax, thought?)

My goal: this is a weekend only car. will rarely see a track, mostly for good fun on the street...cruise nights..sometimes some interstate travel to car shows etc. etc. (wont lie..some late night street racing might happen). I want the sound and feel of a 10.9 second car, but that is still streetable and will hopefully hit a high 11 with good tires...so I guess a car that is on the edge of feeling like a track car, but is well mannered enough to spend all its time on the street.

sooooo...my cam choice. I called comp twice..and got 2 different suggestions:

COMP Cams 35-518-8
COMP Cams 35-522-8 (this guy said the first guy was wrong and I need AT LEAST this much duration because of the compression..huh?)

I was originally going to run a trickflow stage 2..but I feel like comp is a more reputable cam company and I should at least take a suggestion from them over me just throwing a TFS stage 2 in because others I know have done that?

Anyway...looking for thoughts and opinions from those in the know? Is the bigger cam too much for my AFR 165? too high of a power band for a strret only car? (I dont want some slug up until 5k RPM and then turns into a speed demon, that makes for a horrible street car). I think DSS suggests not revving this bottom end past 6500..it will rarely see that as I dont feel safe past 6200 probably? ( i could be wrong..if someone can tell me that the standard DSS forged kit with i-beams can hit 6800RPM all day long then let me know, that could change my opinion). I could go the safe route with the smaller cam, but I want a nice hard choppy idle..obviously not at the expense of completely screwing up the combo with a wrong cam or making it not streetable..but if we are talking a few HP either way then I'll take the added "bark" of the bigger cam.

And finally. Before anyone comes in with "call such and such and get a custom grind"...I get it, no cam is good enough unless custom ground. These parts are very common..and you cant tell me that some company hasnt made grinds for this combo a million times and the grind is now part of their normal inventory. How many different ways can a custom grinder make a cam for a combination that probably exists in a thousand other cars...I am not the first guy with this setup.

Unless someone can offer me proof that my car with run 12.8 at best, and run like ****, with a OTC cam vs a ustom grind...please dont bother telling me. I understand I might give up 5-10 HP with an OTC cam..but if that means my car goes 11.9 and not 11.8, and I save 200 bucks...I am fine with that.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
your going to choke the engine with AFR 165 and track heat intake....from what Ive been told strokers need a 185 head or bigger. As for the intake the holley systemax may be an okay choice, I'm running a trick flow R intake on my 331. its not done yet so i cant report on how well all parts work together. as for the cam you should get a custom cam, call up a good cam company and tell them all your specs and what you plan on doing with it. but buy all your other parts first that way you can give them an accurate description of what you have

you need to think past a 302ci motor cuz thats the parts you thinking of installing. like many people have said....302 parts gets you 302 power

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your going to choke the engine with AFR 165 and track heat intake....from what Ive been told strokers need a 185 head or bigger. As for the intake the holley systemax may be an okay choice, I'm running a trick flow R intake on my 331. its not done yet so i cant report on how well all parts work together. as for the cam you should get a custom cam, call up a good cam company and tell them all your specs and what you plan on doing with it. but buy all your other parts first that way you can give them an accurate description of what you have

you need to think past a 302ci motor cuz thats the parts you thinking of installing. like many people have said....302 parts gets you 302 power

well...I already had the 165 heads. I respect your input, but I have heard otherwise on NEEDING 185 to hit my goals of maybe 425 flywheel horse. I hope I am not wrong, but I will let you know when it is together.

I'd like to hear how you like that intake..i can look into that one.

As far as the custom grind, based on my goals, budget, and opinions stated above...I just dont think I need a $400 cam.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Ive havent priced cams but isnt the difference between a custom and normal cam about $150

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive havent priced cams but isnt the difference between a custom and normal cam about $150
Looking at these anderson cams...and yeah, thats about right.

I know it doesnt sound like much...but I am on a very strict budget with almost every other part I need accounted for and its going to be tight. Plus..these particular comp cams are plentiful and I can probably pick up a used one local, meaning I might save more like 200 bucks or more vs custom grind.

Gotta be someone on here with a setup similar to mine and experience with these comp cams? especially since these were suggestions from comp themselves based on my parts.....unless comp just throws parts numbers out no matter what the setup.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Measuring crank hp is pointless. With a tfs intake, afr 185s.... being generous, and a ots grind other then maybe talking with anderson = 330 rwhp, 400 or so crank and prob 13.1s at 105 because the power curve is going to dive down at 5000 due to the restriction of the top end.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Measuring crank hp is pointless. With a tfs intake, afr 185s.... being generous, and a ots grind other then maybe talking with anderson = 330 rwhp, 400 or so crank and prob 13.1s at 105 because the power curve is going to dive down at 5000 due to the restriction of the top end.
So you are suggesting what changes to meet my goals?

·