Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this is a highly asked subject but i just read that 331 are better to build because you can revv them higher....but cant you just put stiffer valve springs and so on so forth in a 347? when i get back from iraq this time im doing an entire revamp to the drive train its gonna be fun....give me some ideas what i can do with bout 20,000 dollars!

·
Registered
559 Posts
i wouldnt do either i would do a 363 inch small block in a dart or ford block, a TEA Hi port head and customary extras, on pump gas could make between 550-560 fairly easily and come in around 12k intake to pan

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
USMC there you are dude. Im going to Hawaii after I graduate and im gonna live with you I figure :D dont worry when you see me show up with my back pack I come with an Xbox 360 and a 86 Mustang GT :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sure thing 86gt when i get back ill have a house on base but you can live in my garage if you want! i just left 2 days ago so i got till sept them ill be home...start saving for that plane ticket ohh and to ship ur car is about 1500 dollars or so!

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
i wouldnt do either i would do a 363 inch small block in a dart or ford block, a TEA Hi port head and customary extras, on pump gas could make between 550-560 fairly easily and come in around 12k intake to pan
How much does that 550 cost coming out of a 408? $7K???

·
Registered
559 Posts
How much does that 550 cost coming out of a 408? $7K???
You could do it for 8ish, a good job mind you, also using a stock block. Not everyone wants a windsor and you build a windsor thats making 550+ on motor there leaves no room for making say an extra 200-300 more ponies down the line, via a charger, turbo, a few kits since your sitting on a stock block which the caps are going to walk all over the place nearing 650-700hp. I like the 8.2 deck motors for a lot of reasons, as well as the windsor for some reasons. I will take an 8.2 deck 390 incher against a windsor any day. Dont automatically assume a windsor is the end all.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
dollar for dollar, I'll take the windsor, you take the dart 302 and I'll see you in the rear view. If you are going to spend the money on an aftermarket block, why not a 9.2 block? They are the same price?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
with that kinda money you could build a dart 351 w block with a 454 stroker kit......go hardcore with it.....

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
454 sounds right...am i just being a little cavilier or whats that run compression wise i wanna get as much streetable hp as possible for under 10k

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
u will only need about 4 k for your drive train use some of that for chassi bracing and suspension/weight reduction like k member control arms...exc

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
whats my budget on an 8.2 first off, then we can get serious.
Lets say $7K

M&R 408 Stroker, forged internals with 16cc probe dish pistons $2300
Solid roller cam and gear $700
CHI assembled heads and intake $3000

Bolts, gaskets, dist, pan, oil pump, etc... $1000

Should make 650 hp at 6500 rpms and I laugh in the face of cap walk.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
i wanna 6 speed that can take up to about 550 tq can that be done?
Sure, buy an off the shelf T-56 and your set.

If you want to get serious, have G-force build you a face tooth T-56 with upgraded gears and mainshaft that can handle 8-900 hp.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Sure, buy an off the shelf T-56 and your set.

If you want to get serious, have G-force build you a face tooth T-56 with upgraded gears and mainshaft that can handle 8-900 hp.
well i knew that would be answerd fast

·
Registered
559 Posts
Lets say $7K

M&R 408 Stroker, forged internals with 16cc probe dish pistons $2300
Solid roller cam and gear $700
CHI assembled heads and intake $3000

Bolts, gaskets, dist, pan, oil pump, etc... $1000

Should make 650 hp at 6500 rpms and I laugh in the face of cap walk.
Ok this is perfect, first off nowhere, unless buying used are you getting a solid roller cam and lifter for 700, atleast not junk anyway. Im going to use a mexican block since you set me at 7k, my rotating assembly will weight atleast 18lbs lighter than the 408 you show above as I know exactly how much those crank, rods and pistons weigh they use as I use them everyday. Im going to run a cnc hi port head, super vic intake. Shorter pushrod, shorter intake runner and much lighter rotating assembly and it will out accelerate that 408 six ways to sunday, could care less about peak hp numbers. Im ready to build anytime, i got the junk laying around at the shop.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts