Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess im going to go with the stock 302 and turn it into a 347 stroker... this is my first Mustang and my first engine rebuild I've been reading other threads there good info here and there but its spread thin...

I've been looking at the Scat stroker kits is there better kits out there?
And whats the difference between the 5.4 or the 5.325 connecting rods?
what needs to be done to the motor to shift at 8,000 RPM or is that N/A out of a stock 302 block? Or is there no gains at that RPM?

Not looking to start any arguments or abuse just looking for good info to build my motor thanks for any help!

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
Here the deal man....you need to decide how you want to do this. 302 blocks aren't that strong, so do want a power adder, or N/A? If you're wanting a power adder, I think you're better off staying with a 302, because it's cheaper and very easy to reach the blocks limits. If you're wanting in the 500 bhp range N/A, then a 347 is great. First thing to know, is when you're looking at parts, throw the advertised power range out the window.

You need big heads and intake, and a good cam. I would advise a TFS-R intake, and a set of TW185s, with a good custom cam. I've used Bullet cams and been very happy with them, but there are some other good places.

If you're wanting to push those kinds of numbers, you need good parts, and a good tune. Scat makes a good rotating assembly, and would be a good choice. I would advise to start with a budget, because you're looking at a pricey build.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that's what im asking what RPM is safe to shift at?

And what is the difference between the 5.4 Rods to the 5.325 Rods short stroker kit?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Normally a 347 with a 5.4 rod uses a standard ring pack and puts the piston pin hole into the oil rings. With the 5.315 rod they use a 3mm oil ring and the piston pin does not intersect the oil rings, supposably for longer life??

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not wanting any power adders I want to build it all motor 475 to 500 at the crank...

What's the differences between TFS-R intake is the TFS-box-R intake better?

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
The 5.325 stroke would either be used with a larger bore (4.125) to make a 347, or it can be used with a 4.030 bore to make a 331. The 5.4 with a 4.030 bore makes the 347 you want, because a 4.125 bore isn't an option with your block.

As far as RPMs, i wouldn't press it past 6700-6800, but that all depends on how well you build it. It needs GOOD valve springs, and be full of ARP hardware. The main caps are bad about chattering under a lot of RPM, and ultimately causes e block breakage, so ARP bolts are a must.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Normally a 347 with a 5.4 rod uses a standard ring pack and puts the piston pin hole into the oil rings. With the 5.315 rod they use a 3mm oil ring and the piston pin does not intersect the oil rings, supposably for longer life??
Do you lose power with the 5.325 stroker?

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
Do you lose power with the 5.325 stroker?
The short answer is yes. If you build your engine right, you can always measure your power in hp/CID. There's a lot of truth to the old saying "there is no replacement for displacement." There is no point in limiting your displacemtpent to a 331, when you can go to a 347 for the same money.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
There is no point in limiting your displacemtpent to a 331, when you can go to a 347 for the same money.
Its a good thing I'm not that sensitive, or my feelings would be hurt right now.lol

Your putting down AFR in one thread and now your putting down a 331 in this thread......I guess my engine is really going to suck....lmao;) J/K

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
Its a good thing I'm not that sensitive, or my feelings would be hurt right now.lol

Your putting down AFR in one thread and now your putting down a 331 in this thread......I guess my engine is really going to suck....lmao;) J/K
I'm not putting down AFR. They're good heads. I think you'll see what I'm saying in my latest reply :). The 165s just don't compare,to the TW170s, because of the short runner, and the 1.90/1.60 valves. TW170s carry a 2.02/1.60 are just a lot better head.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
gimme 2k and ill ship you my shortblock pan pickup oil pump cam, just slap on the other **** from your motor and roll. Boom

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
I'm not putting down AFR. They're good heads. I think you'll see what I'm saying in my latest reply :). The 165s just don't compare,to the TW170s, because of the short runner, and the 1.90/1.60 valves. TW170s carry a 2.02/1.60 are just a lot better head.
I know bro...i was just playing around....I wouldn't go with AFR 165 either....185 and up seem pretty good though....But i would have rather have had trick flow heads my self, well 185 or bigger though

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I completely understand that just thought I would ask..

And I plan on building it will all ARP hardware and all race application rotating assembly

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
One of the people I race with, he spins his 349 to 8100 everyweekend... Drives it home too...

He uses a 289 block on his builds though because they seem to be MUCH more stable at that RPM.

·