Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright i got this 1985 chevy with a small block 350 vortex head edelbrock carb mild cam and everytime i start it, it makes a grinding sound from the starter...the flywheels new and i just replaced the starter what could cause this and how can i fix it

·
Registered
207 Posts
classic chevy starter, needs to be shimmed, out. You can buy a pack of shims at any parts house just start small and keep going til it sounds like it should. Don't get hasty and go too much at once cause you can grind the end of the teeth off the flywheel and stator.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what im thinking it is but it worked fine when it was first put on and after about a month it started this grinding
could it still be shims if it just happend outta the blue?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright so i took off the starter and the gear in the starter was all the way inside and the part that was lined up with the flywheel was nothing but the bar that the gear is on does this mean it neeeds to be shimmed?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
O so what could be causeing it to not slide over then? Cause i know the gears not moving at

·
Registered
474 Posts
Starter solenoid could be shot.So when you try and start the truck it just spins the starter but the gear doesn't slide out to engage the flywheel?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no i looked at it and it shoots out and engages the flywheel turns the flywheel a little and then stops and trys to kick back in and the flywheel of course didnt get enough kick towards it and also stops moving

it sounds like it would as if the motor was already running and you go to turn the key...

and also idk if this could be related or not but my battery doesnt seem to want to stay alive everytime i go to try n start it i gotta have it jumped its been like this for awhile now the starter issue that is

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alrightt so i figured out the problem who ever put the orginal starter on used the wrong bolts and half assed it up there and got it to work for a little while but now that starter is toast and the bolts i have wont fit the new starter i know now that they are not the factory bolts so where can i find some? i need 2 one longer then the other

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i just walk up into the dealership and ask them for the bolts? are they gonna charge me?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sorry it took so long for me to get back to ya, I don't get on here much. So the part that shoots out is not the solenoid it is called the stator, it is common for these to stop functioning properly and not shoot out you can bench test this to make sure. SO since you altready have a new starter and the bolts are not right then you just need to go to any parts house and ask them for chevy small block starter bolts. I know for a fact that Napa has them on their help tree. The stator by default is away from the flywheel and has to be pulled out or forced out by the spinning of the starter, you can pull it out by hand as well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
alright i got the new starter and new factory bolts for it but one of the bolts wont fit into the wholes so i cant put the new starter on....something is up with the mounting part where the bolts screw in...can i get a new mounting thing?

·
Registered
474 Posts
alright i got the new starter and new factory bolts for it but one of the bolts wont fit into the wholes so i cant put the new starter on....something is up with the mounting part where the bolts screw in...can i get a new mounting thing?
The bolts screw into the engine block so that may be difficult to replace. I have seen bolts snap off inside the block. I would take a look at the holes without the starter on the engine.

Secondly, Chevy used 2 or 3 different mounting variations for the starters on the smallblocks. There was a staggered one, and then 1 or 2 styles that were straight inline, the difference being the distance between the bolts. Hope I didn't confuse you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts