Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Wooooo Rustang
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the next year I plan on building a 393 Stroker, so of course I need a 351 block. Can someone like nxcoupe or 69fastback (or anyone for that matter =)) fill me in on the difference between a 69 351w and a 93+ 351w? Can both can be dropped into a fox, which is more desirable, etc.? I think I know that the 69-74 are flat tappet and 93+ are roller? Any info would be appreciated. I have a line on a '69 351w, dude wants $125 but Im sure he will take less. Thanks!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have a 1969 Windsor steel block in my car and I couldn't be happier car is a complete animal and holds up to anything I throw it, shift it a 7k rpm constantly I believe and I'm not 100% sure on this but I believe my motor mounts are custom made to fit , other than that im not to Sure what else u would need, but I would defiantly buy that block if its nice and build it.

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
69-74 are known to be a little stronger, because they contain a higher nickel content, but unless you're planning on making a whole lot of power, I'd stick with a roller block, just because it's a little easier.

The early, non roller blocks will require link bar lifters to run a roller cam, and they're expensive, or you could run a small base circle cam which is fine for a mild build, but I wouldn't use one to make much power.

Mine is a f4te block, and it's got to be making close to 700 to run 9.90 at 3475 lbs.

If the '69 is in good shape (not more than .030, rusted up, ect...), $125 is pretty cheap, because they're desirable. Only downside is they have a little shorter deck height.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
To clarify, 'out of the blicks he,s gotten in', means with his limited sample data, a sweeping, all encompessing rule cant be made. He says that in there, he just says to check it, thats it. Most blocks are probably fine. I have three of them, Ill pop out the cam bearings and have a look if I get a minute.
94 to 97 windsor blocks are factory roller blocks with one piece rear mains and made from different castings than previous blocks. The 84 or so up to 93 are one piece rear main seal blocks as well. The 69 to 75 blocks are said to be more stout, than the 76 up blocks for whatever reason. Ive used them all with success, winning a camaro on pinks with a 'junk' mid eighties block and repaired 393 crank. Fact is, I have never known anyone that has split a windsir block although Im sure if I set my mind to it, I could make it happen, lol. Get the block, just have a machine shop check it out for you before money changes hands.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
I have a 1969 Windsor steel block in my car and I couldn't be happier car is a complete animal and holds up to anything I throw it, shift it a 7k rpm constantly I believe and I'm not 100% sure on this but I believe my motor mounts are custom made to fit , other than that im not to Sure what else u would need, but I would defiantly buy that block if its nice and build
Just a note, your block is cast iron, not steel. Cranks can be steel, not blocks. Just an fyi.

·
Wooooo Rustang
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses d00ds, sorry for the late response, flew to Brasil on Tuesday, been a hectic week, haha. So I think I will go ahead and move forward (have my dad go get it since Im halfway down the globe) on the '69 351 block. 69fastback, all it needs to run a regular roller cam are the link bar lifters? Also Id be interested to hear what you find if you end up do pulling those main bearings to check for cracks nxcoupe. Thanks guys =)

EDIT: Also, if you get a moment 69fastback, can you link me to some "link bar lifters" that would work? Ive done a few quick searches and havent come up with anything, just hydraulic roller lifters. And before you say if I cant find what I need I probably shouldnt be building a 393 stroker, let me assure everybody I will have the help of my uncle (who is a certified ford mechanic, haha, and has built many a performance engine). He would definitely know what to get but I am also trying to educate myself as much as possible in the process =)

·
PhD in Procrastinology
4,897 Posts
Maybe I missed it when I was reading but what is the difference between the 2, other than the price tag?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Heads and intakes are universal, roller or non, but the lifters do let you run a standard roller cam.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts