Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
With all due respect....not trying to argue all things equal. Just saying that with a 347 you are limited by how much power you will ever make. Period. with the 351 you can stroke it and make waaaaayyy more horse power than the little 347. If you're ok with that, cool. If you want 600+ hp later, get the windsor....that's my plan. My car is a weekend toy, not a DD.

Honestly, if I were to build a daily driver, I'd probably go 347. But I'm gonna be the guy that shuts up the **** talkers and make more power. peace.
no on is going to argue that a 302w block is better then a 351w block for future mods/goals.

but the way you said it that a 351w will be faster with the same set up as a 347 because of torque.

which is not true.

Everything on the motor's being equal a 347 will net a lower ET. because it will accelerate faster, and a 351 adds a pretty good amount of weight.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not necesseeerrrarlilly....The 351w will out torque a 347 hands down. I know and love em. When I buy a fox, first thing I do is find a buyer for the 302, and in goes the windsor. The 9.5 inch deck height is hard to beat!
AGAIN.... Let's see... did I say same set up....nope! I did, however say to lose the small heads in a later post, though! never mind! ugh! *smirking* ALL HAIL THE 347!!! TO HELL WITH THE 351!!!!:banghead

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Not saying I wouldn't go with a 9.5 deck over a 8.2... All I'm saying is that what you said about a 351 making more torque than a 347 was incorrect. Like I said, of course a stroked 9.5 deck will make more power, not disputing that at all. I just don't want someone reading that statement and thinking that dropping in a 351 would be a cheaper option to get the same result.

·
Registered
44 Posts
For starters...This got me wound up for someone posting a 351w is a waste of money. It's just not so....

Ok, let's clear this up... Yes, the 347 is lighter. I agree. Would it trap faster than an equal 351w due to weight? Yes, I'll agree with that, also. You're all right, don't deny it! ........:tomato But, torque, I don't agree that the 347 would take the 351 on because of MASS. Post a dyno sheet and disprove it....you won't find one.

I've read countless articles on how on dynos an FE 427 will tromp all over a 427 windsor torquewise because of the big block's MASS.

Will a lighter engine trap faster? mmyeah. More throttle response?? Yes. More fun to drive??? ....Opinion.....maybe no. Torque is fun on the street.

ANYWAY....My point wasn't apples to apples.... I'd stroke the windsor....with out teeny 170 heads.....and make more power!!!!:D 408 beats 347!!!:D Sorry I wasn't more clear on that!!!!!!

peace!

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
With all due respect....not trying to argue all things equal. Just saying that with a 347 you are limited by how much power you will ever make. Period. with the 351 you can stroke it and make waaaaayyy more horse power than the little 347. If you're ok with that, cool. If you want 600+ hp later, get the windsor....that's my plan. My car is a weekend toy, not a DD.

Honestly, if I were to build a daily driver, I'd probably go 347. But I'm gonna be the guy that shuts up the **** talkers and make more power. peace.
Annnnnd? What you fail to realize is that were not comparing to stroked combos for the o.p. One stroked being a 347 which is a stroked 302 and the other a 351 which is stock cubed. Who mentioned stroking the 351? You said a 351 the way it is vs a 347 has more potential. You couldn't be more wrong. Not to mention trap represents the speed you cross the line at the track. 10.5 isn't a trap:no.

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
see? easy to understand when you explain correctly.

I fully agree. a 351w is a better motor hands down. but under the right circumstances, I.E. the same engine components 347vs351 its different.

not to mention the extra cost of putting a 351w into the car in the first place.

·
Registered
44 Posts
see? easy to understand when you explain correctly.

I fully agree. a 351w is a better motor hands down. but under the right circumstances, I.E. the same engine components 347vs351 its different.

not to mention the extra cost of putting a 351w into the car in the first place.
Cool! No more tomatoes... please!:tomato :D

Btw, to the op, sorry to thread jack, just didn't want the value of the w to be discredited......
peace!

·
Banned
3,014 Posts
For starters...This got me wound up for someone posting a 351w is a waste of money. It's just not so....

Ok, let's clear this up... Yes, the 347 is lighter. I agree. Would it trap faster than an equal 351w due to weight? Yes, I'll agree with that, also. You're all right, don't deny it! ........:tomato But, torque, I don't agree that the 347 would take the 351 on because of MASS. Post a dyno sheet and disprove it....you won't find one.

I've read countless articles on how on dynos an FE 427 will tromp all over a 427 windsor torquewise because of the big block's MASS.

Will a lighter engine trap faster? mmyeah. More throttle response?? Yes. More fun to drive??? ....Opinion.....maybe no. Torque is fun on the street.

ANYWAY....My point wasn't apples to apples.... I'd stroke the windsor....with out teeny 170 heads.....and make more power!!!!:D 408 beats 347!!!:D Sorry I wasn't more clear on that!!!!!!

peace!
You must be drooling on yourself right now......

MAss???? Wtf is mass?

Acceleration is key..not some stupid dyno sheet.

Torque is fun on the street? What torque? Where does this torque happen ? I hope your not talkin low end... 351 vs 347 is retarded .... Use your friggin head.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I'll always take a 351 over a 302 based motor anyday . You get a stronger block, bigger headbolts for better clamping, and @ 50 more avaliable cubic inches either stock or stroked. Torque rules !!

·
Free Mouth Hugs
9,037 Posts
e3sean has had it wrong all this time!!!! AHHHHHHHHH

:lmao

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Well I picked it up for 900 its ford racing rotating assembly. I dont think any one would argue forged 351w for 900 is not a bad deal with about 3000 miles on it.

I will get pics up later of it.. What do you guys think about lakewood traction bars?

Its going to be a weekend warrior so solid mounts or urethaine mounts.. Which either one what company?

like I said this is my first ford so need to get pointed in the right direction.. any help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Let 'er buck. I know nitrous works well with higher compression and medium compression, not sure about lower :dunno You would have to do the math to figure out exactly where you are on compression anyway. A 58cc head will keep the compression up whereas a 65cc head will obviously lower it. Compressed thickness of headgasket as well as actual deck height vs. piston height are all determining factors.

Edit: Just reread... You have 66cc heads. Didn't know that was an option though? :dunno

21 - 40 of 52 Posts