Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried this with a 5.8L from an F-150?

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,102 Posts
You wanting to go with a pushrod motor?

MustangMatt has a 351 in his SN95. I don't know if it's a C or W though.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'm alos thinking of a similar swap once I decide to make the car a dedicated strip car. BMR has a k-member to allow a windsor to fit. You might check with them.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
We offer a k member for this swap. It is a direct bolt in for the 05 and mustang. You can also use this k memkber for a 429-460 motor but you will need the ford adaptor motor mounts. If you have any questions please give me a call.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Anyone have a link to a thread where someone's done this swap with pictures?

I wouldn't ever do it to my car though. I mean you can make this platform go 8s, great daily driver, 'good' gas mileage and 'good' reliability.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agreed. My friend has an extra 351 sitting in his garage that he offered (half jokingly), so it got me thinking. I can't really justify pulling a perfectly good 4.6 though.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Has anyone tried this with a 5.8L from an F-150?
Is this for a street car or race car? If street car, and BTW I know these laws vary very widely by state, but if you put in a 351 I'm not sure you have any chance of passing emissions/inspection laws. I know in CT, my car needs to pass 2007 regs because my car is a 2007 and I don't think there is a snowballs chance in hell I could get a 351 to pass 2007 emissions, not at least at a power level that would make it worth it. Just a thought.

BTW- Regardless of all the legal nonsense, I DO think the idea is very intersting. :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good lord...

I can't believe a 460 fit quite so nicely in that.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Holy crap, that is nuts that they stuffed that big motor in an engine bay that used to house a V6.. Man i wonder how much $$ it took him for motor, and to make everything fit/work.

Does the stock tranny bolt up to that?

·
Registered
985 Posts
I wonder how much power it makes. I'd laugh if it makes like 450 rwhp.
Even if it is "only" 450 hp, it's 450 N/A hp and GOBS of low end torque. Not to mention a lot less complicated than an FI 4.6. If/when I decide to make my car race only, this is the direction I'm going.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Even if it is "only" 450 hp, it's 450 N/A hp and GOBS of low end torque. Not to mention a lot less complicated than an FI 4.6. If/when I decide to make my car race only, this is the direction I'm going.
It's a lot less complicated than bolting on a blower in a day and getting it tuned the next day? I don't think so. I'm not looking to argue with you and you might like it but it's got to make a lot more power for me to even think about it. I'm not doubting it's going to make some more torque though.

·
Registered
985 Posts
It's a lot less complicated than bolting on a blower in a day and getting it tuned the next day? I don't think so. I'm not looking to argue with you and you might like it but it's got to make a lot more power for me to even think about it. I'm not doubting it's going to make some more torque though.
I agree that bolting on a blower and getting it tuned isn't difficult (even though I haven't done it), I just mean the actual engine itself is more compicated. I think there is a lot less to go wrong with a 460 than with a 4.6. Nothing wrong with a 4.6, I love mine. I think parts are a lot cheaper for the 460 as well.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Holy crap, that is nuts that they stuffed that big motor in an engine bay that used to house a V6.. Man i wonder how much $$ it took him for motor, and to make everything fit/work.

Does the stock tranny bolt up to that?
Actually the DOHC 5.4 that comes in the GT500 is externally larger than a 426 hemi, and they both dwarf the Ford big block.

I agree that bolting on a blower and getting it tuned isn't difficult (even though I haven't done it), I just mean the actual engine itself is more compicated. I think there is a lot less to go wrong with a 460 than with a 4.6. Nothing wrong with a 4.6, I love mine. I think parts are a lot cheaper for the 460 as well.
Not really... They are both engines, both work the same way. Yes the valvetrain is more complicated on the 4.6, but it's not much of a big deal. The fuel injection and electronics just make it easier to tune, easier to diagnose, more powerful, and more reliable. I'm a big believer in to each his own, but to me, I agree with Nasty. I don't see the point in swapping an olderpushrod Ford since you can do more with an FI modular anyway. Not to mention the weight. If I were to do a swap like that, I'd swap in an LS based stroker to at least make it worth it with a smallblock that can run circles around most big blocks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts