Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please stay on topic as I am still deciding which engine to build. I do not care about center of gravity, or weight.

So the question.. I am asking for a ballpark est of both of these engines horsepower built as an economy build with these parts.

Gt40p Heads
Victor Jr intake
stock HO cam
1.6 roller rockers
balanced crank, pistons, rods.
Holley 600 cfm carb

Both the 351 and 302 would be roller motors.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
random combo. 302 would prob be faster due to getting more rpms so outa said crappy combo so you can gear it steeper

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Stock HO cam, 600cfm carb, and GT-40 heads are going to choke the **** out of a 351. That vic jr on that combo isn't helping. That is a pretty big mismatch you got there. I agree, probably better on a 302.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool. this is basically the parts I have laying around the house. So if i stepped up to a 750 double pumper and a torqer2 would that help? I have those as well

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
750 seems a little big to me but I'm not a carb man, but if i had to take a guess id think 650 would be more up your alley on a 302, but i may be wrong

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
If you put the right cam in that, you could put those on the 351 and be in decent shape. You'd still be choking the cubes with those GT-40's, but it will be better than the first combo on either deck block... you do know that you can't use an intake for a 302 on a 351 and vice versa right?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah i know about the intakes. I have like 6 carbs that came in this mustang when I bought it lol. I would replace the GT40s at some point with twisted wedges but this is just to get me running. Any idea on what the 351 would have in HP with the 750cfm torqer2 and gt40s?

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
You would probably put right around 270-280 horse to the ground... Corrected SAE numbers... Infact im building the exact engine right now with my buddy and it will never get on the dyno, but it will have track numbers....

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
I would say rock a stock motor until you can save enough fundage to throw a set of good heads on the 351 shortblock because its not worth the swap with those parts in my opinion.

·
Registered
232 Posts
IF this is only to get you running but you plan to mod it later I'd say go with the 351. It will already be in the vehicle and you can add heads and a cam later.

If you don't think you'll be modding it too much I'd say go with the 302 for a little less weight and probably a little better fuel economy if that means anything to you.

Either way your going to start off with 302 power with that combo. Now you put a set of heads and cam in that 351 later and you'll produce much more power.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the info. I look forward to seeing those track numbers when you get that engine in! I think I will do the 351. I have no engine in at all now so to swap in a 351 wont be much more work then putting in a 302.

any idea of which headers to use with a 351 and P heads in a mustang?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I look forward to seeing those track numbers when you get that engine in! I think I will do the 351. I have no engine in at all now so to swap in a 351 wont be much more work then putting in a 302.

any idea of which headers to use with a 351 and P heads in a mustang?
BBK unequal headers work on the gt40's and clear fine. You will have a limited selection with the gt40p heads. You might find some fairly cheap if you shop around.

·