Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey im new to this forum so if im posting in the wrong place just yell at me and ill get it straight . anyway im building a 351w for my 89 notch and its on a budget so i was considering gt40 heads, and gt40 uper, lower intake manifold set up is it even worth my time? annd any ideas on a cam to run with that set up? the motor's bottom end is stock

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
those heads will be ok at best. They are ok on a 302, now you have a 351, id try and find some used aluminum heads, but thats just me

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i just have so many ideas going on im not sure what i wana do if anyone has a nice set up that has some balls to it on a budget i would greatly appreciate the insight to point me in a good direction for heads and a intake manifold combo and a cam what has worked for you guys?

·
Registered
42 Posts
are you planning this to be a daily driver? and are you set on keeping it fuel injected?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im keeping it fuel injected yes and just a weekend car it will see passes down the track id like to go cheap as possible good for 400- 500 horse all that is left is the motor to build the suspension is done rear end is done as of now the motor is completley stock i have a msd set up bbk 351w swap headers smog pump delete and a/c delete and power steering delete ready to go on after i decide on everything else

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OH ALSO i have everything to do the swap the oil pain oil pick up and all that great stuff

·
Registered
678 Posts
A N/A 351 needs to be 400 ci's before they will be at their full potential, and they will need a set of heads to allow those cubes to breathe. A 351w with gt40 heads would be decent until a mild 302 with a set of trickflows blows your doors off.

2 Disadvantages of a 351 are heavier block and heavier rotating assembly.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Definitely true about the 351w rotating assembly being lazy. You need to at least build a 393 using a $200 cast crank, stock rods, and 302 pistons...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so whats a good top end set up for the 393 i have not researched a top end set up before for that bottom end any ideas?

·
Registered
42 Posts
my 351 is stroked to 393 and i use comp cams xtreme energy hydraulic roller, and for budget heads.. i'd look into RHS Heads.. me and a friend have nearly identical set ups in our stangs and he uses RHS and I used AFR heads.. his were cheaper and produce nearly identical HP numbers. as for intakes.. i'm pretty much in the dark with that.. i went carb.. maybe because i'm lazy!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
351 will work fine. Friend of mine ran a 351 with 9.5 compress. old ported TFS iron High Ports Victor JR intake Holly 750 carb, small solid roller cam from Herbert. 3500 stall C4 4.30 gears on drag Radials wight was 3400# ran 11.70s all day long. while a bigger engine would work better and make the power faster and more of it then the small engine if you cant afford the stroker then just due the 351.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks all for the help ive decided on running the 393 set up with the 3.85 crank stock rods and 302 pistons i reasearched on the spyder intake and with a intake elbow thats they way im going to go as for heads not sure yet

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
im still decideing on heads throtale body and injector size im going to give compcams a call when i decide on those items see what they recomend for a cam

1 - 20 of 22 Posts