Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im on here for some buid tips. Im looking to make about 500hp525ftlb from a 351W block. this is going in a 94 gt gutted as much as i can and still keeping it wife friendly :blah:blah. i was going to go with the FAST Ez-EFI kit for fuel. im going for a lumpy motor that is more track than street, but can still eat up the asphalt around town. i was going to do a forged 408 stroker. Im not sure on the heads, cam, and intake. that is more or less what im on here for. i know splyed main caps are stronger but is it necessary for this build? i dont want to turn a lot of rpm, maybe around 6500. i am looking to keep the front end light so i will be doing aluminum as much as possible. the block is cast iron though. i would like the power to come in about 2500 or so. its a manual 5 speed. im going manual steering and elec tric water pump. i dont need a/c. :eek: ill have the suspension and driveline to back this all up. i just need some help on the engine part. thanks for any input

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
That's not too much for a goal, so you could almost piece anything aftermarket and get there. Electric water pump is iffy for street use I've been told, so just keep that in mind. I believe the Meziere one is the most durable to pull double duty, but don't quote me on that. A 185 head can get you there, if you goal is at the crank, a 205 head will do better, and a 225 head would be all out, but choose your cam wisely for good street manners. The Fast EZ EFI is a great choice for going to fuel injection, but for a junkyard adventure, you may be able to find stock stuff, but would still require a tune to get it running optimal. I myself am going 351/408 with the stock block I have in the garage, but I'm just going to throw my TF 185 cnc's on it for budget reasons since I already own them. Then once that's running, I'll start on a spendy build using a dart block, at which the heads will be sent out unless I find a smoking deal on some larger ones already done. Fogged306 is going 9.5 deck too, and he reads up a ton on stuff, and is extremely knowledgable so I'd chat with him too.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as always i appreciate the help. im trying to do this once. at least until it lets loose at some point ha. i was thinking at least a 205 head from either afr or TF. a place called coast high performance has rotating assemblies for either TF heads or not TF. i want to keep the compression around 10.5-11. i dont want to have to run over 91 if i dont have to. plus CA is a dumb state. i havent even seen anything higher than at a station. as for the cam as long as i have enough vac to power the brake booster im good. elec water pumps have been ok to me in the past. yes there is always a crappy brand out there though. ill chat with fogger306 about the deck and ptv clearance

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
A 408 will make power down low by default because of the cubes, so you don't have to worry so much about getting the combo right for power lower in the powerband.

I wouldn't do splayed caps on a production block. A 351 has thicker main webbing than a 302, but it's still not thick enough to put 4 bolt caps on. Drilling out the mains for the extra bolts will weaken the webbing.

Depends on your budget on what heads. If you have cash to spend, Check out Total Engine Airflow | CNC Ported Cylinder Heads | Ford - 289/302/351W | CNC Head Porting Ohio | CNC Porting | CNC Cylinder Heads | Cylinder Head Engine | CNC Ported | Custom Cylinder Head | Ohio | :: Total Engine Airflow ::. They just changed their website, but they offer more than what's on that page for fords. 225 or 240 highports will do the job, or TW-R heads. Cleveland heads are awesome too. Pretty much anything they have at TEA will make the power you're looking for with the right intake, cam and exhaust. Lot's of other options too, so do some looking around and see what you like. I will probably do a cleveland top end myself when I change all my stuff over at some point down the road.

Like faststang said, PTV will need to be checked no matter what. It's not the lift that causes PTV issues but the duration. Every deck height is different, gaskets are different, and so is every rotating assembly so it's impossible to say how much cam will be too much for a 408. Just make sure you get the correct pistons for the style heads you buy. Highports, victors, AFR's ect, get inline valve reliefs. Wedge and canted valve heads will require specific pistons.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
BTW, is there any reason you're considering the FAST system over a tuner on your stock computer? FAST is good ****, but if you wanted to save some money, a quarterhorse and some time spent learning how to tune will be a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im not to big on FI in the first place. so i thought it would be a nice transition to have something resembling a 4150 carb. i may be wanting to stay in my box on this one a little. if i redo the 302 thats in the car now for my wife car ill go with a tune on the stock computer.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
If you've got the cash to do it, go for it. If I hadn't already invested over 1k in my MAF, QH, powerpipe, and TB I would have gone that route. You make more power with a 4150 style TB. Just wanted to make sure you knew there were other options out there in case cost was a factor.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Unless I missed it, I didn't see what edelbrock heads were in that first kit, and I don't know what the intake is in the second kit. In any event, I definitely wouldn't go with the top end kit because you won't be able to use that intake or cam. Unless you drill injector bosses, but even then, I wouldn't go with a dual plane on a 408. Single plane is my choice. The cam is set up for carb, so it won't be ideal. If you're going to spend the money, get one that's optimized for your set-up. I have no experience with the pro flow stuff, so I can't give you any advice there. It looks pretty spendy, but it does come with a lot of stuff that will add up quick if you buy it separate. Those injectors it comes with won't support your goals though. You'll need 42's at least. 60's will give you room to grow if you ever decide to, and having a tunable EFI will allow you to adjust the pulse width to make them work when you're not close to maxing them out.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
with the dual plane i was trying to keep some of the power band in the low end for the street. i wasnt planning on spinning it to fast maybe 6300-6500. that pro flo was to show what else is out there. i wasnt going to make that a choice bc of the price.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Due to budget constraints I've been forced to stick to a 410 rather than a 425 I'm still shootin for around 550ish hp I'm doin the rhs 215s they are a great head for the money as far as the efi goes can't tell you much there, as I dislike it and would take a carb any day over fuel injection but that's just me

1 - 14 of 14 Posts