Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I pulled a blown 302 out of my 1983 Mustang. The 302 was bolted up to the t-5 transmission, from what I've read it should also bolt up to my 351w.

I have a 351w that I pulled out of a 1985 F-150. I'm trying to drop into my Mustang. The only aftermarket parts on the 351w are the headers, the intake manifold, oil pan, and the carburetor.
I have a 157 tooth 28.2 ounce flywheel and a 10.5" clutch on the 351w now.

I can't seem to get the bell housing to bolt up onto the engine, maybe I just can't get the bolt holes to line up right, but when I get one bolt in, the others don't seem to fit. I can't seem to make the bell housing to become flush with the engine no matter how hard I push them together either...

The dust cover on the 351w right now was off of a 4 speed top loader. I never thought to change it before attempting to bolt it onto my T-5 transmission. Will it still work or is that causing my problem?

What's wrong?
Please Help!!

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
if its not a world class is it like using a 4 banger one where you gota use a diff pilot bearing?

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
throw the dust cover in the trash if its causing the problems

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Yea that should fit as far as I know. You have the right flywheel and I've never seen different a bellhousing bolt pattern between the two. I could be wrong. It's a pain in the ass getting a trans to line up sometimes, maybe that's what you're running into? I always just leave some tension on the hoist and get underneath the car and just shimmy it back and forth pretty violently until it seats.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea that should fit as far as I know. You have the right flywheel and I've never seen different a bellhousing bolt pattern between the two. I could be wrong. It's a pain in the ass getting a trans to line up sometimes, maybe that's what you're running into? I always just leave some tension on the hoist and get underneath the car and just shimmy it back and forth pretty violently until it seats.
I believe it has seated correctly, I just can't get the gap to close.
When I turn the engine over by hand, the yoke in the back of the transmission turns.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
The splines on the input shaft are pretty long. You can have the splines on the clutch disc and the shaft not seated in the pilot bearing. This would still allow you to turn the transmission over like you described, but not be fully seated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The splines on the input shaft are pretty long. You can have the splines on the clutch disc and the shaft not seated in the pilot bearing. This would still allow you to turn the transmission over like you described, but not be fully seated.
Do I need to buy one of those seating tools to help align the clutch and the pilot bearing?

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
how else did you line the clutch up behind the pressure plate...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ooh reminds me of this nightmare job I did once on my Mother-in-law's focus. Lining up the tranny was an absolute nightmare the first generation focuses are terrible machines...front wheel drive sucks

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Do I need to buy one of those seating tools to help align the clutch and the pilot bearing?
deffinantly use the alignement tool on the clutch to make sure its all lined up so that the input shaft can go all the way in, if it still wont work then try and use a bell housing from a 94-95 gt. in the 94-95 the input shaft is longer so the bell housing is of course like 1-2 inches bigger, that could close your gap as long as you make sure the input shaft is going all the way in.

if you go with a 94-95 bell then you need to do the starter swap

DB Electrical - NEW FORD MINI PMGR RACING STARTER 302 351 HIGHER TORQUE 3205 SFD0001

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just went thru this jack the front of the motor up to help get the trans in all the way...good luck.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I just went thru this jack the front of the motor up to help get the trans in all the way...good luck.
Newb, look at the dates before you post on an old thread. Not trying to bust your balls, since forum rules won't let me, but I'm sure in the last 2 months he figured out what to do.

·